20 Dec

Alleged Colombian Drug Lord Daniel Barrera Pleads Guilty for Second Time in U.S. Federal Court

first_imgThrough an interpreter, El Loco told U.S. Magistrate Judge Ronald Ellis that he and two others coordinated a massive narco-trafficking network from 1998-2011. He is scheduled to be sentenced on February 27, 2015 by federal Judge Alvin Hellerstein. Mancilla Aguilar’s daughter underwent life-saving surgery last week after doctors found between 500-600 grams of cocaine inside her. At least one of the capsules exploded in her stomach. Barrera, who is known as “El Loco,” is facing life in prison after pleading guilty to conspiring to manufacture cocaine knowing it would be imported into the United States and other countries. He entered that plea in federal court in New York City on November 20. Mancilla Aguilar’s daughter underwent life-saving surgery last week after doctors found between 500-600 grams of cocaine inside her. At least one of the capsules exploded in her stomach. Spain is considered a transshipment point for South American narcotics destined for Europe. On October 9, also in the New York federal court, El Loco pleaded guilty to conspiring to launder tens of millions of dollars in cocaine profits. He’s scheduled to be sentenced in both cases on February 27, 2015 by federal Judge Alvin Hellerstein. After the judge sentences El Loco in New York, federal law enforcement officials will transport El Loco to Miami, where he’s also facing life in prison for participating in a drug conspiracy. On October 9, also in the New York federal court, El Loco pleaded guilty to conspiring to launder tens of millions of dollars in cocaine profits. He’s scheduled to be sentenced in both cases on February 27, 2015 by federal Judge Alvin Hellerstein. After the judge sentences El Loco in New York, federal law enforcement officials will transport El Loco to Miami, where he’s also facing life in prison for participating in a drug conspiracy. Colombian drug kingpin Daniel Barrera has now pleaded guilty to two U.S. federal drug trafficking charges, and faces one more indictment. “A case like this is horrific because it puts the life of an 11-year-old girl at risk,” Jhon Arley Murillo, a spokesperson for the institution, told reporters. “We are going to take steps to offer her protection and remove her from her harmful family environment.” By Dialogo November 24, 2014 Security forces captured El Loco while he was making a call in a telephone booth in San Cristobal, Venezuela, in September 2012. They also arrested 36 suspected members of his organization and seized five tons of cocaine in the weeks before El Loco’s capture. Once in custody, they sent him to Colombia in November 2012, where he was imprisoned until his extradition to the United States in July 2013. “A drug kingpin who enriched two terrorist organizations and himself by producing and peddling poison now stands to lose his wealth, his empire, and his liberty,” Manhattan U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara said. El Loco collaborated in his drug trafficking enterprise with two terrorist groups, the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) and the United Self Defense Forces of Colombia. “The last of the great capos has fallen,” Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos said after the capture of El Loco. El Loco is accused of overseeing trafficking routes that shipped narcotics from Colombia to Central America, Mexico or other South American nations. He purchased cocaine paste from the FARC, processing about 400 tons of the substance annually, and was a key supplier of cocaine for the Don Lucho narco-trafficking organization. Ultimately, drug traffickers transported the drugs into the United States. The girl, whose name hasn’t been made public, is believed to be the youngest drug mule in the country’s history. She was in intensive care and under police protection as of November 22. The Colombian Family Welfare Institute has temporary custody of the girl, whose parents recently applied for a visa so she could travel internationally. “A case like this is horrific because it puts the life of an 11-year-old girl at risk,” Jhon Arley Murillo, a spokesperson for the institution, told reporters. “We are going to take steps to offer her protection and remove her from her harmful family environment.” Police arrested Diego Fernando Mancilla Aguilar at a residence about 30 kilometers from his hometown of Cali in the Department of Valle del Cauca. Law enforcement authorities have charged him with attempted murder, using a minor to commit a crime and drug trafficking. Colombian drug kingpin Daniel Barrera has now pleaded guilty to two U.S. federal drug trafficking charges, and faces one more indictment. Colombian police on November 21 captured a father who allegedly forced his 11-year-old daughter to swallow 104 cocaine-filled capsules so she could be used as a drug mule, prosecutors said. “A drug kingpin who enriched two terrorist organizations and himself by producing and peddling poison now stands to lose his wealth, his empire, and his liberty,” Manhattan U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara said. El Loco collaborated in his drug trafficking enterprise with two terrorist groups, the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) and the United Self Defense Forces of Colombia. El Loco is accused of overseeing trafficking routes that shipped narcotics from Colombia to Central America, Mexico or other South American nations. He purchased cocaine paste from the FARC, processing about 400 tons of the substance annually, and was a key supplier of cocaine for the Don Lucho narco-trafficking organization. Ultimately, drug traffickers transported the drugs into the United States. Colombian police arrest father who allegedly forced daughter to be drug mule Colombian police arrest father who allegedly forced daughter to be drug mule “The last of the great capos has fallen,” Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos said after the capture of El Loco. Spain is considered a transshipment point for South American narcotics destined for Europe. Colombian police on November 21 captured a father who allegedly forced his 11-year-old daughter to swallow 104 cocaine-filled capsules so she could be used as a drug mule, prosecutors said. U.S. federal law enforcement officials suspect El Loco had plastic surgery to change his appearance to avoid capture. They also believe he dipped his fingers in acid to avoid being identified by his fingerprints. Police arrested Diego Fernando Mancilla Aguilar at a residence about 30 kilometers from his hometown of Cali in the Department of Valle del Cauca. Law enforcement authorities have charged him with attempted murder, using a minor to commit a crime and drug trafficking. Barrera, who is known as “El Loco,” is facing life in prison after pleading guilty to conspiring to manufacture cocaine knowing it would be imported into the United States and other countries. He entered that plea in federal court in New York City on November 20. U.S. federal law enforcement officials suspect El Loco had plastic surgery to change his appearance to avoid capture. They also believe he dipped his fingers in acid to avoid being identified by his fingerprints. Security forces captured El Loco while he was making a call in a telephone booth in San Cristobal, Venezuela, in September 2012. They also arrested 36 suspected members of his organization and seized five tons of cocaine in the weeks before El Loco’s capture. Once in custody, they sent him to Colombia in November 2012, where he was imprisoned until his extradition to the United States in July 2013. Through an interpreter, El Loco told U.S. Magistrate Judge Ronald Ellis that he and two others coordinated a massive narco-trafficking network from 1998-2011. He is scheduled to be sentenced on February 27, 2015 by federal Judge Alvin Hellerstein. The girl, whose name hasn’t been made public, is believed to be the youngest drug mule in the country’s history. She was in intensive care and under police protection as of November 22. The Colombian Family Welfare Institute has temporary custody of the girl, whose parents recently applied for a visa so she could travel internationally. last_img read more

18 Oct

Premier League set to live stream all matches played behind closed doors as part of coronavirus crisis plan

first_img Metro Sport ReporterThursday 12 Mar 2020 8:30 amShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link2.2kShares Advertisement Comment Advertisement Italy’s Serie A have already been playing matches behind closed doors (Picture: AFP )So far major sporting events in the UK have gone ahead as planned – including Six Nations games, Premier League matches and the Cheltenham festival.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENT Visit our live blog for the latest updates Coronavirus news liveBut that could change depending on the outcome of the government’s Cobra committee meeting on Thursday morning, with a move from the ‘contain’ phase to the ‘delay’ phase expected to see a ban on large public gatherings.The Premier League and Football Association have already been in discussion with the government and, according to The Times, the football season will not be postponed but instead played exclusively behind closed doors.More: Manchester United FCRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starNew Manchester United signing Facundo Pellistri responds to Edinson Cavani praiseEx-Man Utd coach blasts Ed Woodward for two key transfer errorsWhile the 3pm television blackout will still be observed on Saturdays – with officials worried about setting a precedent that would remove the protected slot – matches look set to be moved from that time period and live streamed instead.All Premier League season ticket holders, and individual match ticket holders, will be able to stream the games live from their homes.center_img PSG played Dortmund behind closed doors – though fans turned up anyway (Picture: Getty)Broadcasters will also be permitted to screen multiple games in the lunchtime and tea-time slots on Saturday, as well as on Sundays andMonday nights.Matches will be blocked from being broadcast in pubs, however, to avoid large public gatherings and will be threatened with the loss of their license if they flaunt the rules.The Premier League’s broadcasting contracts mean it would face a huge penalty if the season was terminated, hence the reluctance to follow the lead of the NBA and suspend the current campaign.MORE: Utah Jazz’s Rudy Gobert tests positive for coronavirus 48 hours after making light of the worldwide panic over the diseaseMORE: Diego Costa coughs on reporters after win against Liverpool amid coronavirus outbreakFollow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.For more stories like this, check our sport page. Premier League set to live stream all matches played behind closed doors as part of coronavirus crisis plan Matches could be played behind closed doors from this weekend onwards (Picture: Getty)The Premier League have put plans in place to live stream all matches played behind closed doors should the government decide to upgrade its response to the coronavirus pandemic.Football matches in Italy and France are already being played behind closed doors – with PSG beating Borussia Dortmund in an emptyParc des Princes stadium in the Champions League on Wednesday night.Juventus also took on Inter Milan in their Serie A title clash behind closed doors, with both teams now suspending training and going into isolation after Juve defender Daniele Rugani tested positive for Covid-19.last_img read more