Share:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window) The White House / Tia Dufour WASHINGTON – A woman suspected of sending an envelope containing the poison ricin, which was addressed to the White House, has been arrested at the New York-Canada border, three law enforcement officials told The Associated Press on Sunday.The letter had been intercepted earlier this week before it reached the White House. The woman was taken into custody by U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers at the Peace Bridge border crossing near Buffalo and is expected to face federal charges, the officials said. Her name was not immediately released.The letter addressed to the White House appeared to have originated in Canada, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police have said. It was intercepted at a government facility that screens mail addressed to the White House and President Donald Trump and a preliminary investigation indicated it tested positive for ricin, according to the officials.The officials were not authorized to discuss the ongoing investigation publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity. There have been several prior instances in which U.S. officials have been targeted with ricin sent through the mail.A Navy veteran was arrested in 2018 and confessed to sending envelopes to Trump and members of his administration that contained the substance from which ricin is derived. The letters were intercepted, and no one was hurt.In 2014, a Mississippi man was sentenced to 25 years in prison after sending letters dusted with ricin to President Barack Obama and other officials.
Final 2003-04 budget action and an initial vote on a multijurisdictional practices report will top the Bar Board of Governors agenda when it meets May 30 in Key West. It will be the last meeting of the Bar’s 2002-03 fiscal year.The budget received its first approval at the board’s April 4 meeting, and governors will consider any objections from members at the May meeting. The final fiscal plan will then be forwarded to the Supreme Court. The new fiscal year starts July 1.The balanced budget calls for income and expenditures of $28.8 million. It continues the Dignity in Law program, with some of those operations brought in-house, and provides money for the new Bar Internet Web portal. That will offer members, for free, an Internet access point that includes legal research, docketing, news services, e-mail, and other customizable services.The Bar’s largest division, which oversees lawyer regulation and includes grievance, lawyer advertising, professionalism, and ethics, would be increased from $11.9 to $12.6 million under the budget.Perhaps most importantly, the spending plans leaves Bar annual membership fees unchanged at $265 for active members and $175 for inactive members. (See story and the complete budget breakdown in the April 30 Bar News. )The board at its last meeting reviewed a report on MJP prepared by a special commission and is scheduled to vote on its recommendations in Key West.The recommendations include that out-of-state lawyers who are not Bar members may not be admitted pro hac vice in Florida more than three times in a 365-day period and that the Bar would be able to discipline those attorneys if they break Bar rules. Those out-of-state lawyers would also have to pay the Bar $250 per case to fund the necessary expanded grievance operations.Any rule changes that went up for first reading at the April meeting will come back for a second reading, and then be forwarded to the Supreme Court.The Board of Legal Specialization and Education and the board’s Certification Plan Appeal Committee are scheduled to present much debated changes in the procedures for lawyers who appeal their denial of certification or recertification.The board will also be making several appointments at the meeting.It will nominate three lawyers for one seat on each of the 26 judicial nominating commissions, with Gov. Jeb Bush making the final choice in each case. Those chosen will serve four-year terms beginning July 2.The board will also select three lawyers for two-year terms in the ABA House of Delegates.Other appointments include:• Six lawyers for two-year terms on the Florida Legal Services Board of Directors.• Five lawyers for three-year terms on the Florida Lawyers Assistance Board of Directors.• Two lawyers for five-year terms on the Florida Board of Bar Examiners.• One lawyer for a four-year term on the Florida Patient’s Compensation Fund Board of Governors.• Three lawyers for four year terms on the Statewide Nominating Commission for Judges of Compensation Claims.The meeting will also have the annual Comments for the Good of the Order, where board members attending their last meeting make comments that frequently include recommendations for improving the Bar and board operations. Board set to take up the budget, discuss MJP issues May 15, 2003 Regular News Board set to take up the budget, discuss MJP issues
Press Association Mirallas missed a spot-kick in the Toffees’ goalless Barclays Premier League draw at West Brom last week after making an apparently impromptu request to take over from regular penalty-taker Leighton Baines. With Mirallas substituted soon after, a storm grew around the incident, adding to the pressure on Martinez amid a run of just one win in 13 games in all competitions. But the Spaniard played down the matter on the night and insists no bridge-building between the Belgian winger and the rest of the squad has been necessary since. Martinez said: “Obviously it is something that has been addressed internally and is water under the bridge. “The only problem we had was that Kevin missed the penalty. That is the end of the matter internally. “Sometimes you feel in a great moment and you want to take a penalty. “It is not a negative having players that want to have the responsibility and show they can help the team in specific moments. “The issue here is that he missed the penalty – nothing else.” The penalty miss came just before half-time in the clash at Goodison Park and Mirallas did not return for the second half due to a hamstring injury. Martinez expects the 27-year-old to be available for Saturday’s trip to Crystal Palace and is also hopeful James McCarthy (hamstring), Darron Gibson (knee) and Sylvain Distin (groin) could be back in contention after recent injuries. As they were not involved in the FA Cup last weekend, Everton have spent the week since the West Brom match at a warm-weather training camp in Qatar and Martinez has been pleased with players’ progress. Martinez, speaking at a press conference, said: “We are hoping Kevin is going to be joining the group between today and tomorrow. He is one of the players who has benefited massively from being away and being able to work. He feels a lot stronger and I do feel he has got a great opportunity to be involved in the squad against Crystal Palace. “James McCarthy has been doing really well – he and Darron Gibson and Sylvain Distin have. They have joined the group, which is really positive. “Leon Osman, Steven Pienaar and Tim Howard are still longer term but they are progressing well and got real good benefit of working away this week.” Everton’s form has seen Martinez criticised by some supporters but he remains confident of their overall backing and feels all facets of the club remain united. Martinez said: “I think we are all aware of the potential we have as a team and I think this season we have had huge expectations. I just see that when you really care about your team and you really care about what you can achieve you are going to get frustrated – when you don’t win you cannot be happy. “But at the same time there is a real support behind the players and a real understanding. “There is always a feeling of getting ready for the next game and the next battle. I feel there is a real natural feeling about what we are going through. It is about making sure we use these situations to make us a stronger football club and the fans have been terrific.” Martinez has not ruled out making further additions to his squad before Monday’s transfer deadline but claims it is unlikely. He said: “In this window we are not looking to try to find solutions. All the work we did in the summer was to have a strong enough squad for all the competitions. “Having said that, we will always try to use the windows in our favour and we will never stop trying to help the players we have at the club and being as strong as we can be.” Everton boss Roberto Martinez claims the Kevin Mirallas penalty controversy has been consigned to history.