To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
Chinese prosecutors said on Friday they have charged two detained Canadians for alleged espionage, in a case that has driven a diplomatic wedge between Ottawa and Beijing.Former diplomat Michael Kovrig and businessman Michael Spavor were arrested in late 2018 on state security charges, after Canadian authorities arrested Huawei Technologies Co’s chief financial officer, Meng Wanzhou, in Vancouver on a U.S. warrant.In December, China’s foreign ministry said it had ended an investigation into the two, and the case had been turned over to prosecutors. Kovrig’s case is being handled by prosecutors in Beijing, and Spavor’s in the northeastern province of Liaoning. Canada has called the arrests “arbitrary”.Last month, Huawei’s Meng, the daughter of the founder of the telecoms giant, lost a legal bid to avoid extradition to the United States to face bank fraud charges, dashing hopes for an end to her house arrest in Vancouver.She recently raised a new argument in a Canadian court in a bid to fight extradition, court documents released on Monday showed.Topics :
An artist’s impression of the Envi terrace home development.The local process engineer said she and her husband, who works away, came across the Envi Urban Microvillage during their house hunt.“We had been looking at packages, but land on the Gold Coast was out of our price range,” Ms Nutt said.“We started looking at apartments and townhouses but I’m not keen on body corporate, and some apartments that were 60sq m, we were still looking at half a million dollars to buy.”At just 38sq m in size, the smallest Envi terrace lot has a price tag to match, of just $300,000.The home will have slightly bigger dimensions — the finished residence will be about 67sq m and be one of ten terrace homes available in the Envi village. More from news02:37Purchasers snap up every residence in the $40 million Siarn Palm Beach Northless than 1 hour ago02:37International architect Desmond Brooks selling luxury beach villa20 hours agoGold Coast architect Amy Degenhart was a short-listed entry in the World Architecture Festival Awards for ‘The Micro’ model, built northwest of Brisbane.Mrs Nutt is preparing for her ‘urban pod’ slab on lot five to be poured early next year, with an anticipated move in around August.“We were able to design the kitchen and tailor the internal storage to suit our needs,” said Mrs Nutt.The micro lot is believed to be the smallest freehold residential lots in Australia, and is comparatively tiny on the Gold Coast, where the average size of new developments is 462sq m. Wendy Nutt has purchased one of the smallest residential lot developments in Australia, in Southport. Photo by Richard GoslingA STANDARD residential lap pool. A living room in a Sovereign Islands home. The master bedroom and ensuite of a Main Beach penthouse. You wouldn’t think those dimensions would fit an entire home, but that’s exactly what new buyer Wendy Nutt is preparing to move into in Southport, and she isn’t at all concerned about a downsize.“I currently rent a single converted garage, so I live in 22sq m at the moment,” she said.“You don’t really need that much space, we find that if you have space you fill it.” The design for Envi came from a “three-metre wide by nine metre terrace home in Vietnam”.Occupiers of Envi have chosen from the ‘pico pod’ — a one-bedroom, two-bathroom abode, the two-bedroom, one-bathroom ‘micro terrace’, and larger ‘urban pod’ (two-bedroom, two-bathroom) and ‘village home’ (three-bedroom, one study, two-bathroom). The terrace homes feature a free flowing design, open timber stairs, higher ceilings and glazing on the front and back to encourage air and light cross-flow.Already, seven of the micro homes have sold, with the remaining three under contract. Living small can have its appeal.Comparatively on the Gold Coast, the owner of the smallest Envi microlot will pay about $4,477 per square metre of liveable space.Not only does the Envi project give the developing Gold Coast an opportunity to tap into the micro market, but also lead the way and potentially see high rises replaced by terrace homes.“This is one of the first micro lots that are post town-planning and on a high rise lot,” said Ms Degenhart.“They may be on small lots, but half as much can be twice as good when it comes to combining architectural design and touches of luxury, with prime Gold Coast real estate, a central location and an affordable price tag.”Ms Degenhart’s developer client has pitched the design to an international audience, Google’s parent company, Alphabet, in the United States.“It’s quite revolutionary and a pilot study for what can be achieved,” Ms Degenhart said. Wendy Nutt will own the land and there will be no ongoing body corporate expenses. Photo by Richard Gosling“You’ve got your terrace homes in Melbourne that are about four metres wide and have been around for ages, and that’s where the name Envi came from, because the Gold Coast missed out during that period of time,” said Amy Degenhart, director of architect Degenhartshedd.“We were looking at New York, Sydney and Melbourne, and were envious in terms of their terrace homes.”Ms Degenhart said older, established cities around the world were able to introduce terrace homes pre-town planning. The design was inspired by a terrace home in Vietnam.The tiny house trend has emerged across the world, as an answer to increasing populations and property prices. America offers the most bang for your buck, with a median micro house (152sq m and less) price of $155,455. In London, affordable housing developer Pocket specialises in 38 sqm, one-bedroom apartments that carry an average price tag of $550,827.Demand in Sydney’s housing market saw a 155sq m block with approved plans for a tri-level, two-bedroom home in Freshwater sell earlier this month for $500,000. Construction costs were estimated to be $450,000.Collated property data revealed Sydney-siders are paying between $6,000 to $11,000 per square metre for a standard apartment, depending on suburb density.
Stuff co.nz 9 June 2014A Hamilton couple are being noticed by key government figures for taking a stand against child sex trafficking in New Zealand.A report about the subject by Shimal Sataiya and Mark Calderwood was recently referred to in a general debate in Parliament and awaits further discussion by MPs.In its 2012 Trafficking in Persons report, the United States Department of State said New Zealand was a source country for underage girls subjected to internal sex trafficking, Sataiya said.The Ministry of Justice website states the New Zealand definition of trafficking requires international movement.New Zealand is likely to categorise forcible movement of people within the country as kidnapping, slavery, or other related forms of offending.Sataiya said evidence from Supreme Court Judge Susan Glazebrook said about 200 under 18-year-olds were working illegally within the sex industry in New Zealand.“My argument is, so many people are ignorant about it happening in New Zealand – it makes it even more of a danger,” Sataiya said.The US report also said a number of Pacific Island and Maori children were being trafficked within New Zealand by gang-controlled trafficking rings.Sataiya said child sex trafficking in New Zealand was an issue that needed addressing. “The law can’t do much, so change needs to come from people being more aware of this.”She said the pair would also like to see harsher penalties for trafficking and for the Government to redefine the terms surrounding the issue to ensure nothing slipped through the cracks.Minister of Immigration Michael Woodhouse spoke last week at the Prevent People Trafficking Conference in Porirua. He said the Government “remains alert to the possibility of trafficking occurring here”.http://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times/news/10135752/Fighting-against-NZ-sex-trafficking
Promoted ContentWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?The Models Of Paintings Whom The Artists Were Madly In Love WithThe Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read MoreCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable WayTop 7 Best Car Manufacturers Of All TimeThis Guy Photoshopped Himself Into Celeb Pics And It’s HystericalBirds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For ThemWho Earns More Than Ronaldo?The Best Cars Of All Time10 Stargazing Locations To ‘Connect With Nature’6 Incredibly Strange Facts About HurricanesBest Car Manufacturers In The World He wished him the best for future, while admitting he “can’t imagine what you’re going through”.Eto’o said: “Happy birthday my brother.“Hello brother, I have no words, brother. I don’t even know what to say, we are talking to see how we can encourage you.“You are my brother, my friend. I can’t imagine what you’re going through. I can only ask you to have strength and to pray a lot.“I hope that all this can be solved soon, because you were frankly a good person and a good friend. From here, the black loves you very much and you can count on me for everything you need.“What I can do, I will do. And if I can’t do it, I’ll ask a friend for the favour.”Ronaldinho is spending his 40th alone in jail, a stark contrast to the lavish bashes he held in the past.For his 26th, he partied in a Barcelona nightclub until 6am.Read Also: COVID-19: Ronaldo teaches his children how to properly wash their handsHis 32nd, which lasted five days and cost tens of thousands of pounds, took place at a luxury hotel in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.Pele sent a greeting after last year’s bash saying: “Whenever I see Ronaldinho he always has a smile. Happy birthday my friend.”Now, those messages have been replaced with accounts from friends who speak only of how “sad” he is.FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 He has been told he faces spending six months behind bars.But he received some good news in the form of Instagram messages from his fellow 2002 World Cup winners.Ronaldo Nazario, 43, posted a photo of himself with Ronaldinho and the caption: “Congratulations Xará (mate)! May you overcome this difficult stage of your life with the same joy as always!”Carlos, 46, posted a photo of them playing in a game together, doing keepy-ups and hugging.He wrote in his message: “Best wishes friend Ronaldinho 40 years old, happy birthday my friend.”Ronaldinho’s former Barcelona team-mate Samuel Eto’o also reached out in an Instagram video as the photo of the jail-bound star tucking into his food went viral online. The Samba star is enjoying his landmark birthday in a Paraguayan prison after allegedly using a fake passport to enter the South American country. Loading… Ronaldinho marked his 40th with a huge BBQ in jail – after receiving birthday messages from fellow Brazil icons Ronaldo and Roberto Carlos.Advertisement
BOONE, Iowa (Sept. 3) – It’s the Sport Compact’s turn to shine Tuesday night at Boone Speedway and numbers for the 4-cylinder division add up to a new IMCA Speedway Motors Super Nationals fueled by Casey’s record.Sixty-three Sport Compacts saw action in six heat races. Three ‘B’ features will the starting grid for his evening’s main event. That 25-lap race pays $250 to win plus a Speedway Motors Weekly Racing bonus of as much as another $250.Forty-nine Sport Compacts were in action when the class debuted at Super Nationals in 2011, 55 last year. Top two finishers in each of five heats qualified for the Karl Chevrolet Races of Champions for Hobby Stocks and for Northern SportMods this afternoon, then headed to the Fan Zone to draw cards to determine their starting spots in their Saturday events.Colby Langenberg and Randy Embrey will start on the front row of the Hobby Stock RoC. Trevor Holm and Brock Beeter are in row two, Corey Madden and 2011 race winner Shannon Anderson in row three, Jason Kohl and Chris Luloff in row four and Bill Bonnett and Justin Nehring in the fifth row.Pole starter for the Northern SportMods is Bobby Anders, with Joel Rust to his outside. Eric Elliott and 2010 race winner Tyler Frye are in row two, Nick Roberts and Clinton Luellen in row three, Austin Kaplan and Danny Dvorak in row four and Robby Rosselli and Carter VanDenBerg in row five. VanDenBerg, of course, starts on the pole for Saturday’s Northern SportMod main event. His win in Monday’s qualifying feature was the career first at Boone for the 19-year-old hotshoe from Oskaloosa.He had two previous starts here, with a wreck and a fifth place finish to show for his efforts.“It was a pretty big accomplishment to win last night,” he said. “We’d never won here before.”In addition to the Sport Compact main event, two more qualifiers for the SportMods and another for the Hobby Stocks are on tonight’s ticket. Wednesday’s last-chance qualifying sends the final six cars into 30-car fields for both divisions on Saturday.Can’t make the 2013 Speedway Motors IMCA Super Nationals fueled by XSAN? Then watch every lap LIVE on XSAN at: www.xsan.tv
Batesville, IN—The Batesville Kiwanis Club, Batesville Rotary Club, Southeastern Indiana YMCA along with the City of Batesville regret to announce the annual Community Prayer Breakfast, originally scheduled for May 7 has been canceled.To honor this annual tradition, the organizers are asking that all citizens and organizations of Batesville ring a bell or honk your car horn at noon on May 7.
SHARJAH, United Arab Emirates (CMC) – Neither Chris Gayle nor Kieron Pollard fired, but Karachi Kings still managed to stay alive in the Pakistan Super League with a convincing 44-run victory over Dwayne Smith’s Islamabad United in the first qualifier here yesterday.Playing at the Sharjah Cricket Stadium, Kings were restricted to 126 all out off 19.4 overs, with Gayle getting 17 and Pollard scoring just five.Opener Babar Azam and veteran Shoaib Malik both scored 25.Left-seamer Rumman Raees claimed four for 25 while pacers Mohammed Sami (2-19) Shane Watson (2-29) were the other wicket-takers.In reply, Islamabad slid to 82 all out off 15.2 overs, with Smith perishing for eight, leaving opening partner Asif Ali to carry the burden with a top score of 39 off 36 deliveries.Ali was just one of two players in double figures. However, Islamabad crashed from 47 for two in the ninth over, losing their last eight wickets for 35 runs.Pacer Mohammad Amir (3-7), left-arm spinner Imad Wasim (3-14) and leg-spinner Usama Mir (3-24) all finished with three wickets each.Sent in earlier, Kings received an explosive start from Gayle who put on 42 for the first wicket with Babar.The left-handed West Indies batsman stroked two fours and a six in his 15-ball stay at the crease before missing a heave at Raees and dragging on in the sixth over.Pollard also fell to Raees, drilling a full delivery down to long off in the penultimate over.Kings will now clash with Darren Sammy’s Peshawar Zalmi in today’s second qualifier, for a place in Sunday’s final.
WINTER OLYMPICSTeenager Perrine Laffont produced a brilliant final run to win the women’s moguls and France’s first medal of the 2018 Winter Olympics.The 19-year-old scored 78.65 to edge out defending champion Justine Dufour-Lapointe of Canada and become the first Frenchwoman to win the title.Dufour-Lapointe was awarded 78.56 by the judges with Kazakhstan’s Yulia Galysheva taking bronze with 77.40.Australia’s world champion Britteny Cox finished fifth with 75.08.Cox posted the fastest time of the final run with 28.29 seconds, but the time makes up only 20% of the judges’ mark, with the air jumps counting for 20% and 60% for the turns.Canada’s Andi Naude had the best score of the final six before the last run, but she lost control during her final run.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram