TULSA, Okla. — Seth Boomer threw for 251 yards and a touchdown and Tulsa thwarted SMU’s bowl hopes with a 27-24 win on Saturday.The Mustangs were looking for their sixth win for the second consecutive week to become bowl eligible for the second straight year. Memphis beat SMU 28-18 last week.Ben Hicks completed an 11-yard scoring pass to James Proche with 91 seconds left and SMU was within 27-24. The ensuing onside kick went out of bounds and Tulsa (3-9, 2-6 American Athletic Conference) ran out the clock.Tulsa led from the start building a 21-0 lead. Shamari Brooks scored on a 15-yard run, Boomer threw a 2-yard TD to Keenen Johnson and Corey Taylor II plunged in from 1 yard out. SMU (5-7, 4-4) responded with a nine-play, 68-yard drive that ended when Ke’Mon Freeman scored from 2 yards out.In the third quarter, Rodney Clemons blocked a 42-yard field goal attempt by John Parker Romo and scooped the ball and raced 45 yards to the endzone to make it 21-14.Romo made field goals of 34 yards in the third quarter and 22 yards with 3:28 to play.The Associated Press
Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)RelatedBravo out of T&T squad pending WICB meetingJanuary 9, 2017In “latest news”CWI opens doors for Narine, Pollard and Bravo comebacks into national sideJuly 24, 2018In “latest news”WI Captains allegedly sacked; Bravo denies reportsNovember 5, 2014In “Sports” West Indies all-rounder Dwayne Bravo(CMC) — All-rounder Dwayne Bravo has shot down suggestions his decision to retire from international cricket was influenced by his non-selection for the ongoing limited overs tour of India.The 35-year-old last week announced he was quitting international cricket, as he prepared for Trinidad and Tobago Red Force’s semi-final in the Regional Super50 at Kensington Oval in Barbados.“Not being selected in the West Indies team to go to India had nothing to do with my decision because I haven’t played for West Indies in one-dayers since 2014 and in T20s since 2016,” Bravo told CNC3 TV.“So not being selected in the West Indies team — I’ve actually gotten accustomed to it now.”Bravo made a rare appearance for Red Force in the just concluded Super50 but had little impact, scoring just 96 runs from five innings and picking up seven wickets at 24 runs apiece.Red Force reached the semi-finals before they were upset by eventual champions Combined Campuses and Colleges Marooners.Bravo, who also quit Test cricket three years ago, said he would continue to ply his trade on the global T20 circuit.“Life continues for me. I just officially announced my retirement but I’m going to continue to play around the world, I’m going to continue to play for Knight Riders,” he explained.“To all my fans who got scared and thought they would never see me play cricket, you can rest assured I will continue playing — just that I won’t be playing for West Indies.“I will be trying to keep my body fit so I can play as long as possible.”Bravo was repeatedly snubbed by Windies selectors despite guiding Trinbago Knight Riders to back-to-back titles in the Caribbean Premier League over the last two seasons.He captained West Indies in ODIs for 19 months up to 2014 when he was sacked and dropped from the squad following his key role in the controversial abandoned tour of India earlier that year, owing to a player’s pay dispute with Cricket West Indies.