Salvador (Brazil): Brazil were held to a 0-0 draw against Venezuela in the Copa America as a late strike from Philippe Coutinho was disallowed after a controversial VAR decision. Coutinho thought he had fired Brazil into the quarter-finals in the 87th minute when he bundled home a finish from Everton Soares’ driving run down the left wing at Salvador’s Arena Fonte Nova on Tuesday. But for the second time in the match, Chilean referee Julio Bascunan ruled out the Brazilian goal after being alerted to an infringement by the video assistant referee. Also Read – Djokovic heaps praise on ‘very complete’ MedvedevThe goal appeared to have been disallowed due to a touch by Liverpool striker Roberto Firmino, although it was not clear that Firmino had been offside as the ball grazed him on the way into the net. Brazil left the field to boos but remain top of Group A with four points from two games, and one game to play. Venezuela have two points from two games and will fancy their chances of advancing with their final game coming against Bolivia, who suffered their second straight defeat earlier Tuesday in a 3-1 loss to Peru. Also Read – Mary Kom enters quarterfinals, Saweety Boora bows out of World C’shipsBrazil, who had made hard work of beating Bolivia in their opener, once again struggled to find a creative spark against well-organized opponents. Firmino was kept quiet by Venezuela’s defense with Yordan Osorio and Mikel Villanueva neutralizing the Liverpool striker. The tale of the first half lay in the statistics from the opening 45 minutes, with Brazil recording only one shot on target despite enjoying 75 percent possession. In fact, the best chance of the half fell to Venezuela, when Salomon Rondon headed Yangel Herrera’s cross just inches wide with Alisson beaten. Firmino did get the ball in the Venezuela net in the 38th minute but the goal was disallowed after Bascunan ruled Villanueva had been fouled in the build-up. Brazil left the field to loud boos and whistling, and manager Tite wasted no time in making a change at half-time, bringing on Manchester City’s Gabriel Jesus for Richarlison. Jesus made an instant impact looking lively down the left flank and curling a shot just wide of the post on 57 minutes. Moments later Jesus looked to have fired Brazil into the lead.
Jerusalem: US National Security Advisor John Bolton warned Tehran on Sunday of misinterpreting as “weakness” President Donald Trump’s last-minute cancellation of a retaliatory strike on Iran. “Neither Iran nor any other hostile actor should mistake US prudence and discretion for weakness,” said Bolton ahead of a meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Jerusalem. “No one has granted them a hunting license in the Middle East,” he added. Also Read – Merkel warns UK Brexit deal ‘unlikely’ without compromise: London “Our military is rebuilt new and ready to go,” said Bolton, after Trump called off a planned attack on Iran in response to Tehran downing a US drone on Thursday. Bolton, who was in Israel for a pre-scheduled trilateral meeting with his Israeli and Russian counterparts, Meir Ben-Shabbat and Nikolai Patrushev, noted that the “current circumstances in the region make our conversations even more timely.” In a Saturday tweet, Trump had pledged to hit Iran with “major” new sanctions on Monday. Washington has imposed a series of measures against Tehran since Trump pulled out of a landmark nuclear accord between Iran and world powers last year. “We expect that the new sanctions president Trump referred to in preparation for some weeks will be announced publicly on Monday. Stay tuned,” Bolton said in Jerusalem.
Islamabad: Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan will meet US President Donald Trump on July 22 and their focus will be on improving the ties between the two countries, the Foreign Office said Thursday. Khan will make his maiden trip to the United States on the invitation of US President Donald Trump, Foreign Office Spokesperson Muhammad Faisal told reporters here during his weekly press conference. During Prime Minister Khan’s visit, the focus will be on further improving the ties between the two countries, Faisal was quoted as saying by Dawn. Also Read – Turkey preparations for Syria offensive ‘completed’ This will be his first visit to the US since assuming office last year following his Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaaf party’s victory in the general elections. The announcement of the meeting between the two leaders comes a day after the US designated the Balo chistan Liberation Army (BLA) as a global terrorist group and Pakistan booked 13 top leaders of the banned Jamaat-ud Dawah (JuD), including its chief and Mumbai attack mastermind Hafiz Saeed, in nearly two dozen cases for terror financing and money laundering under the Anti-Terrorism Act, 1997, . Also Read – Imran Khan arrives in China, to meet Prez Xi Jinping The US Department of the Treasury has designated Saeed as a Specially Designated Global Terrorist, and the US, since 2012, has offered a USD 10 million reward for information that brings Saeed to justice. Saeed-led JuD is believed to be the front organisation for the Lashkar-e-Taiba, which is responsible for carrying out the Mumbai attacks. It had been declared as a foreign terrorist organisation by the US in June 2014. Pakistani authorities in March sealed the Lahore headquarters of JuD and Falah-i-Insaniyat Foundation (FIF) and detained over 120 suspected militants as part of an ongoing crackdown on banned groups. Last month, Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi said that President Trump had invited Prime Minister Khan in June but he could not undertake the visit because of the budget session. He also said that talks between the two leaders would focus on “important regional matters”. Pakistan has helped the US in re-starting the ongoing peace talks with the Afghan Taliban. Trump was consistent in his criticism of Pakistan after launching his South Asia and Afghanistan strategy in 2017.