Stuff co.nz 9 June 2014A Hamilton couple are being noticed by key government figures for taking a stand against child sex trafficking in New Zealand.A report about the subject by Shimal Sataiya and Mark Calderwood was recently referred to in a general debate in Parliament and awaits further discussion by MPs.In its 2012 Trafficking in Persons report, the United States Department of State said New Zealand was a source country for underage girls subjected to internal sex trafficking, Sataiya said.The Ministry of Justice website states the New Zealand definition of trafficking requires international movement.New Zealand is likely to categorise forcible movement of people within the country as kidnapping, slavery, or other related forms of offending.Sataiya said evidence from Supreme Court Judge Susan Glazebrook said about 200 under 18-year-olds were working illegally within the sex industry in New Zealand.“My argument is, so many people are ignorant about it happening in New Zealand – it makes it even more of a danger,” Sataiya said.The US report also said a number of Pacific Island and Maori children were being trafficked within New Zealand by gang-controlled trafficking rings.Sataiya said child sex trafficking in New Zealand was an issue that needed addressing. “The law can’t do much, so change needs to come from people being more aware of this.”She said the pair would also like to see harsher penalties for trafficking and for the Government to redefine the terms surrounding the issue to ensure nothing slipped through the cracks.Minister of Immigration Michael Woodhouse spoke last week at the Prevent People Trafficking Conference in Porirua. He said the Government “remains alert to the possibility of trafficking occurring here”.http://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times/news/10135752/Fighting-against-NZ-sex-trafficking
Saturday’s trip to face Norwich at Carrow Road will be the Toffees’ first competitive match for more than 11 years without David Moyes at the helm. Martinez has been hugely complimentary about the job done by now Manchester United boss Moyes and his team, but he is keen to put his stamp on the club. He said: “I love watching football full stop. I thought it was a good game. They are big events, every time that you play for a trophy. “You always follow former clubs with a special feeling and you want them to do well. You can’t be too neutral. And when they do well you feel part of it, the same as a fan.” While success at the DW Stadium was staying in the Premier League, the demands at Goodison Park are much higher, although financially Everton cannot compete with the biggest clubs. Martinez thinks his experiences at Wigan will stand him in good stead, saying: “It doesn’t matter if you’re fighting to get a top position in the table or to avoid relegation, every game matters, so it’s not a real different feeling. “But embracing the challenge of being at a big club like Everton in terms of the expectations, understanding the responsibility and the history that we bring with our name, that is a very exciting part of the position that I’m in.” Martinez signed three players who were with him at Wigan last season, and goalkeeper Joel Robles and striker Arouna Kone should be in the squad but defender Antolin Alcaraz is sidelined with a hamstring problem. Winger Magaye Gueye and full-back Tony Hibbert are also out, although the latter is set to resume training on Monday, while midfielder Darron Gibson is 50/50 after straining a knee ligament against Betis. Martinez is excited to get stuck into the season proper, although he is disappointed his first match will not be at home. He praised the summer recruitment of Norwich boss Chris Hughton, who has added Gary Hooper, former Everton target Leroy Fer, Martin Olsson, Nathan Redmond and Ricky van Wolfswinkel to his squad. Martinez said: “You always hope for a home start. That allows you to settle in and straight away you want to be comfortable playing at home. As it is we’ve got a difficult game at Carrow Road. “I do feel this Norwich side probably is the best that’s it’s been in the Premier League. They’ve kept a very good core of players but they added really well. We do expect a really tough fixture.” The Spaniard knows the luxury of time is something rarely afforded to football managers, but he hopes Everton supporters will see what he is trying to achieve. Martinez said: “Any period where you want to change things, that’s going to take a little bit of time. I’m trying to get to know what the fans want and look through the DNA of Everton, and that’s important for me. “I think we are very good at things but to achieve things you need to be outstanding at something and that takes time. When you’re trying to take that next step, the changes need to be difficult to achieve, otherwise you will never get the benefit. “It’s just having the patience and the togetherness of understanding the period we’re going through, but at the same time being able to enjoy it and making sure we’re still competitive and winning football games while that happens.” Whatever happens at Goodison Park this season, it is unlikely Martinez will experience the same extremes of emotion as during his final campaign at Wigan. Three days after leading the club he used to play for to FA Cup glory, Martinez watched on as they were relegated following defeat to Arsenal. Wigan, now managed by Owen Coyle, were back at Wembley last Sunday for the Community Shield, which they lost 2-0 against Manchester United. Martinez was unable to watch it live because Everton were playing Real Betis, but recorded it and admitted he feels a similar way about the Latics to a fan. Roberto Martinez has asked Everton’s fans for patience as he prepares to lead the team for the first time in the Barclays Premier League. Press Association
Brian O’Driscoll admits it would boost Ireland’s World Cup hopes if the union was able to buy Johnny Sexton out of his Racing Metro contract. “I don’t want to talk out of turn where Johnny is contracted to Racing, and I think it would be disrespectful to them to say we were looking at taking him away from them,” he said. “I think everyone is in agreement that we didn’t want to see him go, and if a situation arose where he did come back, and some agreement was made, I don’t see that possibly being a negative. “I know that he’d be welcomed back into the fold from a provincial point of view. “And I’m sure the national management would like to be able to control his game-time a little bit more than they currently can. “I suppose it’s one just to wait out and we’ll see what happens.” Centre Luke Marshall is out of Saturday’s Italy clash after suffering a concussion in Ulster’s routine home victory over Newport Dragons on Friday night. The 22-year-old suffered three quickfire concussions last term that led to him being unable to tour North America with Ireland in the summer. Ireland bosses hope flanker Peter O’Mahony will train fully on Tuesday after hamstring trouble, to prove his fitness to face Italy in the weekend’s penultimate RBS 6 Nations clash. French Top 14 club Racing last week predicted Sexton would miss between 10 days and six weeks with the thumb problem he suffered in the 13-10 England defeat. The Irish Rugby Football Union quickly released a statement clarifying Ireland’s medics still expected him to recover in time to face Italy this Saturday. Sexton’s move from Leinster to France last summer leaves the IRFU unable to control when he plays and when he rests. The 28-year-old suffered for overwork during Ireland’s autumn Test schedule, picking up a hamstring strain after 13 club games in just 10 weeks. Now this latest injury wrangle underlines head coach Joe Schmidt’s complaint that Ireland had “lost control of the player”. Sexton is contracted at Racing until summer 2015, but there have been suggestions the IRFU will seek to buy him out of the second year of his French contract to bring him back to Leinster. British and Irish Lions playmaker Sexton could see out his Racing deal and still return to Ireland in time for the World Cup, but he has struggled to settle in France and the Paris club have also endured a mixed campaign. Stalwart centre O’Driscoll refused to comment on behind-the-scenes dealings, but admitted Sexton’s return would be a boost to boss Schmidt’s preparations for the World Cup in England next year. Press Association Ireland’s coaching staff hope fly-half Sexton will be able to train on Tuesday, to end confusion surrounding his thumb ligament strain. “We’ll receive a further specialist review on Monday, and the hope is that he will be made available to us to train on Tuesday,” said Ireland team manager Michael Kearney.
Lindo Creek CoI The wife of Lindo Creek Massacre victim Clifton ‘Berry’ Wong said she heard the news about miners being killed, but brushed it aside and went about her domestic chores, only to have her entire world collapse later that night.Collette Wong took to the stand before the Commission of Inquiry into the June 2008 Lindo Creek Massacre and tearfully recounted when she received the news of her husband Clifton Wong’s death.Clifton Wong’s daughter, Shaniza Romain, on the standThe woman related that prior to heading into Lindo Creek, her husband had been home to celebrate Mother’s Day and her birthday, and while heading into Lindo Creek, he had promised to send some money to celebrate their daughter’s birthday on June 13.The woman said the last communication she had had with her husband was when he stopped at Kwakwani before heading into Lindo Creek, and he had told her, ‘I love you’, and had asked her to take care of their five children.Collette explained that when she did not hear from her husband for their daughter’s birthday, she made contact with his boss, Leonard Arokium, and asked that he contact the camp, which he promised to do.Amidst tears, Collette Wong said her nephew-in-law was the one who had informed her of her husband’s death on June 21, at sometime around 12:30hrs.“I bravely said, ‘Hit me with it,’ he said, ‘You already heard’, and I said there was a newsflash. At that moment I did not panic,” she said. To confirm the news, she then called Arokium, and her worst fears became true.“Upon hearing that, I went upstairs. The children were already in their bed, and I woke them up and said, ‘He is no more! He is no more!’ ” the still grieving woman related before breaking down on the stand.She said her screams were so loud that they woke up the entire neighbourhood, and persons came over to enquire what was going on.She said that apart from media operatives, the family was visited by Social Welfare Officers, but she noted that they did not receive any form of counselling or therapy to deal with their loss.Collette Wong said she was also fearful of the heavy Police presence in her street during the wake held for her husband. She further related that her brother-in-law, Courtney Wong, was asked to provide the Police with an SNA sample, and that the family was never contacted about the burial of her husband’s remains.Also taking the stand was the late Clifton’s daughter, Shaniza Romain, whose birthday he was supposed to send money for. The woman related that when her father did not call her for her birthday, she sensed something was wrong.She said that her father was a family man and would never miss their birthdays, and she still remembers the last present he had given her before he was murdered.Romain recounted that, in 2007, her father had presented her with a pair of gold jingles (bangles) for her birthday, but after his death, the family had to sell those to supplement their finances.Sometime between June 12, 2008 and June 24, 2008, miners Cecil Arokium, Dax Arokium, Compton Speirs, Horace Drakes, Clifton Wong, Lancelot Lee, Bonny Harry and Nigel Torres were shot and killed, and their bodies burnt at the Upper Berbice River mining camp being operated by Leonard Arokium.The Lindo Creek CoI is the first of what the coalition Government has said would be a series of inquiries into the hundreds of killings which occurred during a crime wave that began in 2002. The CoI was established to inquire into the circumstances surrounding the killings of eight miners, and to report its findings and recommendations to President David Granger.