20 Jan

Blind cricketers get help from SDF, JCA

first_imgThe West Indies’ visually impaired cricket team’s Jamaican players have received a sponsorship of just under $3 million to compete in the 2017 T20 World Cup Cricket for the Blind in India at the end of the month.The Sports Development Foundation (SDF) has contributed $2.2 million of this, with another $750,000 coming from the Jamaica Cricket Association.Sports Minister Olivia Grange said that the team still needs all the support it can get, especially financially, and has urged corporate Jamaica to get on board to help to cover other expenses the team still has.”There is still a shortfall and I will continue to lobby on behalf our visually challenged cricketers. They deserve this opportunity to compete against the best players in the world. They have always represented their country and the region with distinction and I know they will do so again. I appeal to corporate Jamaica to get behind our visually impaired cricketers and help them to get to the World Cup,” the sports minister said.The donation was made to the team on behalf of the Jamaica Visually Impaired Cricket Association as the West Indies Cricket Council for the Blind had requested that each player gets funding from the respective territories. This meant a higher figure was needed for the Jamaicans as eight of them make up the 11-member squad.Minister Grange and SDF general manager Denzil Wilks both assured the team that the donation would not affect funds to be given to the Jamaicans at a later date as they look to defend their regional title.SENSE OF OPTIMISMThe team had faced the threat of withdrawing from the competition because of a lack of funds, but as they now look towards their opening game against the hosts on January 31, squad member Jason Ricketts said that there is a renewed sense of optimism in the camp.”We’re confident,” he says. “I’m not gonna say that we’re gonna win (the entire competition), but we’re in a better position now and actually feeling better than a week ago.”His teammate Mark Sweeney said that the donation has him motivated even more to make the region proud.”I must say that I am feeling a sense of relief,” Sweeney said. “I really want to go and represent my country and the region. We’re going out there to give it our best, nothing but the best.”Ricketts said that the uncertainty over participation has affected the team’s training, but they will make the most of the remaining time.”It’s (preparations) not as smooth as we’d want it to be, but we just have to work with the limited time and resources that we have and try and make it work when we get down to India.”The 2017 T20 World Cup for the Blind will run from January 28 to February 12.last_img read more

28 Dec

MAN TRIED TO HEADBUTT BOUNCER OUTSIDE NIGHTCLUB

first_imgA Letterkenny man who attempted to head-butt a nightclub bouncer after he was removed from the premises has been fined €150.Paul Brogan, from 5 Binnion Avenue, appeared in court charged with assault outside Voodoo Nightclub on September 14th last.The court heard that Brogan, 47, had 19 previous convictions for various offenses including intoxication and using threatening and abusive behaviour. On the night of the offense, Gardai arrived to find Brogan being restrained by nightclub security staff.At one stage he lunged and tried to headbutt a member of the security team but did not connect, according to Garda Inspector David Kelly.Solicitor Kieran Dillon said his client had been under pressure from the sale of his family home which he said had put him “over the edge.”He added that Brogan had no real memory of what had happened and had apologised to staff and the Gardai.He is an electrician but had found it difficult to get work during the recession.Judge Paul Kelly fined Brogan €150.MAN TRIED TO HEADBUTT BOUNCER OUTSIDE NIGHTCLUB was last modified: October 7th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:assaultcourtdonegalletterkennynightclubPaul Broganlast_img read more

17 Aug

AccorHotels completes acquisition of Mantra Group

first_imgPhoto: Simon McGrath, COO AccorHotels Pacific and Michael Issenberg, Chairman and CEO AccorHotels Asia Pacific celebrate the acquisition at Peppers Soul, Gold CoastAccorHotels completes acquisition of Mantra GroupAccorHotels today announced that it has completed its acquisition of Mantra Group for $1.2 billion. The deal includes the Mantra, Peppers, BreakFree and Art Series brands, representing 138 hotels in Australia, New Zealand, Hawaii and Bali.Michael Issenberg, Chairman and CEO of AccorHotels Asia Pacific said, “The Mantra Group is the latest chapter in the strong growth story of AccorHotels in the region.  Since our launch with the Novotel Sydney on Darling Harbour in 1991, AccorHotels has become the largest hotel group in the Pacific, and Australia has always played a key role in that story.“AccorHotels is a significant contributor to the Australian tourism industry, and this deal is a signal of our confidence in Australia both as an attractive destination for global travellers but also as a feeder market for our Asia Pacific and wider network.”At the close of the deal, AccorHotels will operate over 330 hotels and resorts across Australia and over 900 throughout Asia Pacific. AccorHotels will also be the largest employer on the Gold Coast, outside of government.Simon McGrath, COO of AccorHotels Pacific said, “The Mantra Group brands will enhance AccorHotels’ portfolio and create new opportunities for our people, partners and guests. We believe that tourism is critical to the economic growth of the region and future job creation and this deal will allow us to further develop the industry.”Mr McGrath added that innovative growth was a hallmark of both AccorHotels and the Mantra Group. “Our innovation in economic business models, brands and customer initiatives has fueled our growth over the last 27 years and the Mantra Group has built an innovative business focused on the best partnership experience for its 10,000 strata title owners,” he said.  “Under Bob East’s leadership this bespoke approach and responsiveness has seen it maintain and grow rooms under management.  We see enormous value in leveraging Mantra Group’s entrepreneurial spirit and expertise to create new opportunities.“Mantra’s brands and properties perfectly complement the AccorHotels network and will enable us to provide new destinations and new experiences for our guests. We look forward to combining the talent and expertise of both groups to create an even more innovative, agile and dynamic team.”Bob East, CEO of Mantra Group said, “I am immensely proud of the great company we’ve built and what we’ve achieved as an Australian-based business. It’s been an enjoyable journey for me leading the team since 2007 through to our float on the ASX in 2014 and now closing this deal with AccorHotels.  I have enormous belief in the business and the team here is looking forward to working with Simon and AccorHotels to continue this success.”The Mantra Group leadership team will continue to be based in the Gold Coast office, reporting to Mr McGrath, in line with all other AccorHotels Pacific business units.“I’m looking forward to getting my feet under the desk at the Gold Coast, working with the team and getting to know the detail of this business. We welcome our Mantra colleagues to AccorHotels and together, we will benefit from our shared values, expertise and entrepreneurial spirit,” Mr McGrath said.Source = AccorHotelslast_img read more