3 Dec

Bhima-Koregaon violence: prime accused Milind Ekbote arrested

first_imgThe District Rural Police on Wednesday arrested Milind Ekbote, the prime accused in the Bhima-Koregaon violence of January 1 this year. The Supreme Court had on Wednesday cancelled his interim bail relief. Ekbote was picked up from his home in Pune’s Shivajinagar area Thursday morning.Two FIRs were lodged against Ekbote, who is the executive president of Samasta Hindu Aghadi outfit, for allegedly orchestrating the riots which left one person dead. The apex court quashed any further extensions of Ekbote’s bail relief after the State prosecutor submitted that he had not cooperated with the probe agencies, and had refused to hand over the mobile phone, claiming that he had apparently “lost” the phone.He is to be produced before the Pune Sessions Court later in the day.Police sources further said that Ekbote had been summoned at least five times for interrogation, but had not cooperated after one session with the investigating authorities on February 23.Earlier on January 22, his anticipatory bail application was rejected by the Pune Sessions court and again by the Bombay High Court on February 2.On February 6, the Pune sessions court issued an arrest warrant for Ekbote, who then moved the Supreme Court for interim bail the next day which was granted to him.The Pune Rural police had booked him under Sections 307, 143, 148, 149, and 295 of the IPC, and the Prevention of Atrocities Act, based on complaints filed at various police stations on January 1.Last month, while extending his bail relief, the Supreme Court had rapped the State government and probe agencies for their tardy progress in their probe against Ekbote, questioning the agencies’ claims that he was allegedly ‘untraceable’.last_img read more

28 Nov

Lack of time doesn’t bother Asiad boxers

first_imgIndian boxer Paramjeet Samota (91+kg) rewrote history last week by becoming the first super heavyweight boxer from the country to clinch a gold medal at the Commonwealth Games as India rounded off with their best ever haul of three gold and four bronze medals at the event.But it is only half the job done for Samota as he will face stiffer challenge when the Asian Games kicks off in Guangzhou, China, from November 12. The 22-year-old boxer, however, has not even a month to prepare for the quadrennial event and he will bank on the preparations and performance of the Commonwealth Games to perform well at the Asian event.”One month’s time is not sufficient to prepare for an event like the Asian Games. But we are high on the success of the Commonwealth Games and that will boost us to get some good result at the Asian Games as well.”In one month, we can work upon movements and speed in the ring because most of our opponents at the Asian Games will be aggressive boxers from countries like Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, China and Korea and we have to have great footwork to counter them,” Samota said at a ceremony where Monnet Group awarded the three Commonwealth Games gold medallists `3 lakh each and four bronze medallists `1 lakh each.In the just concluded Commonwealth Games, Paramjeet, Suranjoy Singh (52kg) and Manoj Kumar (64kg) clinched gold for India while Amandeep Singh (49kg), Jai Bhagwan (60kg), DIlbagh Singh (69kg) and Vijender Kumar (75kg) settled for bronze medals after losing in the semi-finals.advertisementAsian champion Suranjoy, who enters the Asian Games as India’s best bet for gold, echoed Samota’s sentiments. “There should have been more time between the Asian Games and the Commonwealth Games, but all these events are pre-scheduled. We have to utilise the time to work on some of mistakes our boxers committed at the Commonwealth Games. I think utilisation of time will improve our performance.” Olympic medallist Vijender is of the view that the boxers will maintained the momentum of the Commonwealth success.”Asian Games are always tougher than the Commonwealth Games. There we have Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan, which had world champions and Olympic champions in their side. But our confidence is skyhigh after Commonwealth success and the boxers will be able to maintain it till next month,” said Vijender.Indian boxers Vijender (69kg) and Varghese Johnson (91+ kg) were the only medallists for India at the previous edition of the Asian Games in 2006, but boxing in the country has moved up a few notches since then and the nation team boasts of world, Olympic and the Asian Games medallists.Indian coach Gurbux Sandhu said that the growing success of boxers will reflect in Guangzhou as well.”The success rate of our boxers has gone up and there is a high possibility that they will better their performance at the Asian Games. Though I can’t predict the names of medallists as the unpredictability of boxing may derail anyone’s campaign on any day, but India may get a gold also,” said Sandhu.”I and coaching staff will sit in Patiala and plan for the Asian Games because we just finished with the Commonwealth Games and haven’t got sufficient time to analyse the strength of other countries,” said Sandhu.India has selected a 10-member team for the Asian Games.From the Commonwealth Games medallists, Jai and Manoj have been kept as reserved boxers.last_img
10 Aug

March 13 2019The Cosanti Foundation is once again

first_imgMarch 13, 2019The Cosanti Foundation is once again participating in Modern Phoenix Week! Participants of this annual celebration of Architecture and Design will be invited for an intimate tour of Cosanti on Saturday, March 16th from 10:00-11:30 am and again on Saturday, March 23rd from 9:00-10:30 am. These two special tours are being offered for a suggested donation rate of $20 per person, attendance is limited to 25.Register here for the tour on March 16th, and here for the March 23rd date. We’ll see you at Modern Phoenix Week!last_img read more

9 Aug

Glenn encourages students parents to consider Youth ChalleNGe Academy

first_img Categories: Glenn News,Glenn Photos 18Mar Glenn encourages students, parents to consider Youth ChalleNGe Academy Michigan National Guard program helps with high-school GED(Left to right): Kay Carter, Rep. Gary Glenn, Cadet Executive Officer Sousha Carlevaris-Bianco, Kay’s son Cadet Cpl. Andrew Carter, and Cadet Cpl. Lujuan Grigsby II, all of Midland.State Rep. Gary Glenn, R-Midland encourages local teens aged 16-18 who have dropped out or been expelled from school and their parents to consider a free program administered by the Michigan National Guard that helps students earn a high-school degree and college credits.The next Michigan Youth ChalleNGe Academy (MYCA) at Fort Custer in Battle Creek begins July 2015, and while there are orientations scheduled throughout the state during the next three months, a session in the Bay City Armory, 2510 Wilder Road in Bay City, is coming up April 11.Rep. Glenn learned firsthand about the MYCA during a winter meeting at the state Capitol in Lansing with three Midland youths — Cadet Executive Officer Sousha Carlevaris-Bianco, Cadet Cpl. Andrew Carter and Cadet Cpl. Lujuan Grigsby II.“I’m proud of Sousha, Andrew and Lujuan for overcoming past challenges and committing themselves to learning the self-discipline and job skills necessary to succeed in life,” said Glenn, who served eight years with the U.S. Army Reserves and Army National Guard, including the 1460th Transportation Company in Midland. “They need our encouragement and support, and the Michigan National Guard deserves our gratitude for helping these Midland youths, and others like them across the state, turn their lives around.”Carter’s mother, Kay Carter, also of Midland, called MYCA “an amazing military-type academic program (that) has changed the course of his life through very hard work and determination.”“Not everyone makes it to the end of this program, but Andrew did!” she said. “We are so very proud of our son. He has accomplished many goals while at the academy. He has matured, found self-esteem and pride for what he has overcome and what he has accomplished. He leaves with a plan for his future and over the next year will work closely with two wonderful mentors. We thank God for opening the doors for him to attend MYCA and answering many prayers for our son.”MYCA is paid for by the U.S. Department of Defense and the state of Michigan and administered by the Michigan National Guard. Meals, housing, and uniforms are provided at no cost to the cadets or their families, and there is no military obligation for participants.The academy features an 18-month, two-phase program focused on self-discipline and jobs skills, which encourages physical, mental and moral development, with participants receiving more than 800 hours of classroom instruction and 160 hours of vocational-technical training, to earn a high school GED and up to 21 college credits. Along with taking part in daily physical training to develop good health, nutrition, hygiene habits and life-coping skills, the youths also perform over 40 hours of community service and conservation activities.Additionally, the youths put together a life plan that they work to execute with help from an assigned mentor in their community.Those eligible to apply are male and female high school dropouts or potential dropouts aged 16-18 who are U.S. citizens or legal residents of the U.S. and the state of Michigan, who have not been convicted of a felony and are not currently on parole or probation for anything other than juvenile-status offenses. Applicants must be drug-free and will be tested.Complete applications are not required to attend an orientation session, but priority consideration is given. More information is available by calling 800-372-0523 or online at MIYCP.org.To contact Rep. Glenn, call toll free at 1-855-GLENN98; email at GaryGlenn@house.mi.gov; go to his website, RepGaryGlenn.com; or send mail to Anderson House Office Building, S-1287, P.O. Box 30014, Lansing, MI 48909.last_img read more