Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina “I want to help in any way I can even though I am not as fit as I was before. But Jayson (Castro) will be there. Once you follow coach Chot’s system, you’ll get opportunities. Andray (Blatche) will also be there [to lift the squad],” Romeo said in the same interview.The Philippines takes on Chinese Taipei on Friday, 7 p.m., at Taipei Heping Basketball Gymnasium.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next PSL: Generika-Ayala squeaks past Foton MOST READ In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ “Actually I’m a bit nervous because I’m still not at 100 percent. I came back to help the team out, I want to play international basketball again. We’ll see what happens, but I’ll give my best,” Romeo told ESPN5.The 26-year-old guard was part of the 15-man pool which arrived in Taiwan on Monday.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownThe final lineup is yet to be announced but without point guards Kiefer Ravena, who is serving an 18-month suspension for doping, and Kevin Alas, who is still recovering from an ACL injury, Gilas needs another guard like Romeo to fill in.Romeo is up for the challenge. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/ INQUIRER.netAfter missing the first two windows of the Fiba World Cup Qualifiers, Terrence Romeo is raring to represent the Philippines again.Romeo, who was previously sidelined by a knee injury, hasn’t seen action for Gilas Pilipinas since the 2017 Fiba Asia Cup in Lebanon nearly a year agoADVERTISEMENT Taal victims get help from Kalayaan town Jury of 7 men, 5 women selected for Harvey Weinstein rape trial Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award LATEST STORIES Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding View comments Cloudy skies over Luzon due to amihan Bicol riders extend help to Taal evacuees Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Christopher Tolkien, son of Lord of the Rings author, dies aged 95
SAN JOSE — Captain Joe Pavelski likely will not play Friday and the availability of some other Sharks forwards is also in question for Game 1 of their second round series against the Colorado Avalanche on Friday at SAP Center.Pavelski is considered day-to-day after he suffered a scary head injury midway through the third period of Game 7 of the Sharks’ series against the Vegas Golden Knights on Tuesday. Pavelski was at the Sharks’ practice facility Thursday but did not take the ice and was not …
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to this article as well as GBA’s complete library of premium articles and construction details. This article is only available to GBA Prime Members The energy-efficiency tax credits and renewable-energy tax credits are better than tax deductions. The allowable credits aren’t just deductible expenses; they represent dollars subtracted directly from your tax bill. While the tax credit program includes illogical rules, the available tax credits can be significant.If you want to claim a tax credit on your 2009 income tax return for energy-efficiency improvements to your home, you should get the improvements installed before the end of the year. There’s really no need to rush, however, since the tax credits will remain available until the end of 2010 — or, in some cases, 2016. Energy-Efficiency CreditsThe energy-efficiency tax credits are available for air-sealing products, insulation, HVAC equipment, water heaters, windows, doors, and roofing. These tax credits were established on February 17, 2009 by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act — President Obama’s stimulus bill.The following rules apply to the energy-efficiency tax credits:No tax credits are available for energy-efficiency improvements made in 2008. An earlier tax credit program (with different criteria) was available in 2006 and 2007; tax credits received for improvements in 2006 and 2007 are not counted towards the $1,500 limit on tax credits for 2009 and 2010 improvements.Renewable-Energy CreditsThe renewable-energy tax credits — credits for solar hot water systems, solar electric systems, ground-source heat pumps, wind turbines, and fuel cells — are separate from the energy-efficiency tax credits, and have different rules:The Most Bang For Your BuckIf you’re interested in making your home more energy efficient, and maybe claiming a tax credit while you’re at it, where should you start?For most homeowners, the first step should be a home energy audit. Ideally, this audit should be performed by an experienced RESNET-certified or BPI-certified home performance auditor equipped with a blower door. Unfortunately, no federal tax credits are available to cover any portion of the cost… Start Free Trial Already a member? Log in
Former Union Minister M.J. Akbar on Wednesday recorded his statement before a court here in support of his allegations levelled in a criminal defamation complaint against senior journalist Priya Ramani.Recording his statement before Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Samar Vishal, Mr. Akbar said that he had suffered “damage due to the scurrilous and false charges levelled by Ms. Ramani”.“Indeed there was an immediate damage because of the scurrilous nature of these concocted and false allegations. I was attacked in my personal capacity about alleged and fabricated non-events allegedly done two decades ago,” he said in his statement.“I chose in that environment to seek justice in my personal capacity without the appurtenance of office. This is why I offered my resignation as Minister of State, Government of India. My reputation has been tarnished in the eyes of general public and those who are near and dear and known to me,” he said. Mr. Akbar had resigned from the Union Council of Ministers on October 17.Later, on conclusion of Mr. Akbar’s statement, the court posted the matter on November 12 for recording statements of other witnesses cited by him in his complaint.Taking cognisance of the complaint on October 18, the Additional CMM had summoned Mr. Akbar for recording his statement.The former editor had sought Ms. Ramani’s prosecution for allegedly defaming him by accusing him of sexual misconduct with journalists who worked with him in different media houses over the years. Mr. Akbar in his complaint cited an open letter by Ms. Ramani published in Vogue magazine last October and her tweets as defamatory.The complaint stated that “the accused herself, while putting forward defamatory statements relating to incidents which allegedly occurred 20 years ago, simultaneously admits that the complainant has not done anything to her”.(With PTI inputs)
John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding Slow and steady hope for near-extinct Bangladesh tortoises 2 ‘newbie’ drug pushers fall in Lucena sting Read Next Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Chael Sonnen. APLOS ANGELES — Chael Sonnen has never fought as a heavyweight at any point in his long careers in wrestling and mixed martial arts. He’ll make his debut in the marquee weight class this weekend at Bellator 192 against Rampage Jackson, who outweighed Sonnen by a whopping 31 pounds on the scales Friday.Sounds crazy, right? Even Sonnen knows it.ADVERTISEMENT Globe Business launches leading cloud-enabled and hardware-agnostic conferencing platform in PH Lopez, Markkanen power Bulls to easy win over Hawks “It’s the only fair way to do things,” Sonnen said of the tournament format. “It’s just that in combat, we don’t have to do things fair. We can do things that are good for entertainment and good for business. In this case, (Bellator President) Scott Coker is risking everything. He doesn’t know what the biggest fights are going to be. He doesn’t know how it’s going to play out, but he said, ‘I’ll do it fair for a change.’ And here we are.”While the UFC waits for new stars to emerge — or for its biggest existing star to get tired of spending his boxing money in Ireland — Bellator is building its year around the tournament designed to crown its first heavyweight champion since 2016.The promotion is doing it with its usual mix of sports and spectacle, pitting veteran heavyweights against smaller, bulked-up stars closer to their prime, including Ryan Bader and Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal.It could be fascinating competition, or it could produce physical mismatches and lopsided decisions. Either way, Coker expects it to be compelling.“It just snowballed into something we needed to do,” Coker said. “We already had good heavyweights, and pretty soon we had eight marquee names. This was the thing that made the most sense, and it’s going to be an all-yearlong story line.”ADVERTISEMENT Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC “I don’t totally know what I’m getting into, in fairness,” Sonnen said. “I’ve had workout partners that were heavyweights, but I don’t know what that power will feel like. I imagine I’ll move out of the way.”Sonnen just couldn’t resist the chance to chase the Bellator title belt in an eight-man tournament starting Saturday night at the Forum. The Heavyweight World Grand Prix will be the center of Bellator’s promotional efforts in 2018, showcasing a host of well-known MMA stars including Fedor Emelianenko, Frank Mir and Roy Nelson.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutBellator was founded a decade ago around the tournament concept, but strayed away from it in recent years to maximize its ability to stage big fights.The promotion’s return to something resembling its roots begins in Inglewood with the 40-year-old Sonnen against the 39-year-old Jackson, who tipped the scales at 253 pounds. To Sonnen, the excitement of the undertaking outweighed the obvious drawbacks in competition. MOST READ NEXT BLOCK ASIA 2.0 introduces GURUS AWARDS to recognize and reward industry influencers LATEST STORIES Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City Jackson is no stranger to weight-cutting struggles — he only recently realized ketchup has sugar in it, he said — but the veteran fighter has no such worries now. He hadn’t even weighed himself in two weeks before his bout, and he munched on chicken skewers before his fight-week news conference.Jackson and Sonnen get along well, but Sonnen still managed to get in an early jab at his thicker opponent: “I agreed to fight at heavyweight, not superheavyweight!”For Coker, there were actual hurt feelings to smooth as well.Sonnen and Jackson are being showcased in the main event after former UFC star Rory MacDonald takes on welterweight champion Douglas Lima for the title. MacDonald had thought he was in the main event until last week.“I was disappointed when I heard about it,” MacDonald said. “I was bummed out. I was a little bit hurt. It didn’t affect my sponsorships, but I felt upset. I just put it out of my mind. These are the moves they have to make. I have a job to do, and their job is to make their business successful.”Bellator 192 is the first event since promotion owner Viacom officially rebranded the Spike network as the Paramount Network on Thursday. While MacDonald and Lima are among the world’s best handful of fighters at 170 pounds, Jackson and Sonnen are stars with far more name recognition, and executives from Viacom understand what draws viewers to this promotion.When asked if he was concerned about the rest of his roster’s reaction to Bellator’s decision to showcase heavyweights in all of their tournament bouts, Coker laughed.“I don’t think they’ll have any problem cashing those checks on Monday,” he said. Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa View comments
Reps. Marino, Yaroch: Bucci should resign or be removed from officeState Reps. Steve Marino and Jeff Yaroch today sent Gov. Rick Snyder letters calling on him to exercise his authority to remove a Macomb Township trustee from office.Rep. Marino said Trustee Dino Bucci has exhibited corrupt conduct in office and gross neglect of duty, both of which the governor can use as grounds for his removal under the Michigan Constitution.“Dino Bucci’s actions while serving as both a township trustee and public servant in the Macomb County Department of Public Works are disgraceful and unacceptable,” Marino said. “Even more shameful is the fact that he continues to receive cadillac health benefits, collect a salary, and hold his title while skipping meetings and avoiding all other official responsibilities.”Rep. Yaroch said: “Public Works Commissioner Candice Miller has relieved Mr. Bucci of his duties at the Macomb County Works office, which is rebuilding the trust of Macomb County in that department. It is time for Gov. Snyder to do the same to rebuild the trust of our citizens in their government.”Bucci was indicted by a federal grand jury in November 2017 on eighteen counts of conspiracy, bribery, embezzlement, extortion, mail fraud and money laundering. The charges are in connection with public contracts in Macomb Township and the Macomb County Department of Public Works, where he worked until 2017.“Trustee Bucci has clearly lost the trust and confidence of both his colleagues and the public,” Marino said. “If he won’t resign, it’s time for Gov. Snyder to exercise the authority granted to him by the state constitution and allow our community to begin the healing process.”The legislators, who each represent a portion of Macomb Township in the Michigan House, also sent letters to the Attorney General’s Office requesting a formal opinion clarifying the governor’s authority to remove Bucci from office.### 18Apr State representatives call on governor to remove Macomb Township trustee Categories: Yaroch News
Eutelsat 172BEutelsat’s first high-power all-electric satellite is to be shipped to French Guiana on March 20 ahead of its planned launch on an Ariane rocket on April 25.Eutelsat 172B will deliver increased capacity for applications including in-flight and maritime connectivity, cellular backhaul, corporate networks, video distribution and government services.The satellite will be located at 172° East, providing reach over the Asia-Pacific region and the Pacific Ocean.The satellite will replace the Eutelsat 172A satellite and will include C and Ku-band payloads connected to a range of footprints.A new Ku-band multi-beam payload delivering 1.8Gbps of throughput will serve what Eutelsat describes as the world’s fastest-growing region for air traffic, with over 8,000 aircraft to be delivered to the region by 2034.According to the operator, Eutelsat 172B will be a major growth platform for in-flight connectivity, thanks to a deal with Panasonic Avionics. Eleven elliptical spotbeams will enable Panasonic to bridge the West coast of North America to Asia and Australia.New technologies deployed on the craft include the Multi-Port Amplifier (MPA), an innovation that will dynamically distribute power between the 11 spotbeams in response to surges in capacity on board aircraft.The satellite is expected to enter service in third quarter 2017.
CHIEF INSPECTOR GORDON MCCALMONTDerrySUSPICIOUS OBJECT FOUND IN ROSSNAGALLIAGH AN ‘ELABORATE HOAX’ SUSPICIOUS OBJECT FOUND IN ROSSNAGALLIAGH AN ‘ELABORATE HOAX’ was last modified: November 22nd, 2016 by John2John2 Tags: Rainbow Child and Family Centre was evacuated and a number of roads were closed.Templemore Sports Complex was also opened for those affected.PSNI Ch Insp Gordon McCalmont said: “This device was an elaborate hoax.“It wasn’t a viable device but somebody has gone to great lengths to make us believe that something viable was there. “We will be launching a criminal investigation. We are quite confident that things will be wrapped up pretty quickly.”This afternoon Chief Inspector McCalmont added: “This incident has caused inconvenience, disruption and upset for the local community.“I would like to thank the members of the public for their patience and cooperation during the operation this morning.“An investigation is now underway to find those responsible.“I would ask anyone with any information about this incident to contact police in Strand Road on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.” ShareTweet The suspect device found this morning in Derry was an elaborate hoax, say policePOLICE say a security alert which closed a day care centre in Derry this morning was an “elaborate hoax”.The suspect device had been found in the Rossnagalliagh area.British Army Technical Officers were tasked to the scene.