20 Jan

Jamaica to host 2018 ISKA World Championship – Government ready to assist organisers

first_imgKINGSTON: Sports Minister Olivia ‘Babsy’ Grange says a meeting will be convened with members of the organising committee – headed by Jason McKay (at the earliest possible date) – with a view to seeing how best the Government of Jamaica can assist in successfully hosting the 2018 International Sport Kickboxing Association World Championships (ISKA). “I am very delighted and excited by the fact that we have won the rights to host the 2018 International Sport Kickboxing Association World Championships,” said Grange. “It is an indication that the world of karate and kickboxing believes that our people have the ability and capacity to execute at a very high level.” Since the announcement, Grange has alerted technocrats within the ministry to the endless possibilities of hosting the championships, all in an effort to ensure that the sport and the country is positioned to maximise on the gains to be derived. “This is a massive boost to Brand Jamaica and is a challenge all of us must embrace. It is another opportunity to promote and raise awareness about our rich cultural heritage and generate revenue to the economy,” she said. “Coupled with our world-class hospitality industry, I am confident that many of our guests who will attend this event in 2018 will happily return to our shores thereafter.” Jamaica was announced as the chosen destination for the 2018 edition of the championships during the just-concluded ISKA World Championships in Germany, which was held from May 18-22. “Special commendations to the martial arts community and all other stakeholders for the role they have played so far, but rest assured that the Ministry of Culture, Gender, Entertainment and Sport is committed to ensuring that the 2018 ISKA World Championships will be a huge success in all areas,” she added. The sports minister also commended the entire combined martial arts team that went to the World Championships in Germany.last_img read more

25 Dec

Cities seek fast fix for bridge

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! PICO RIVERA – Standing on the edge of the fire-destroyed Beverly Boulevard bridge Monday, the mayors of Montebello and Pico Rivera came together to talk about cheaper and quicker ways of reopening traffic through the area.In addition, Pico Rivera Mayor David Armenta announced authorities have arrested a homeless man believed to have touched off the fire Nov. 1 that decimated the bridge and triggered traffic nightmares for commuters traveling east and west through Pico Rivera and Montebello.Felony charges were filed Monday with the District Attorney’s Office against 28-year-old Nelson Gastellum. Gastellum was arrested Friday on suspicion of starting the fire, said Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Lt. Michael Rothans of the Pico Rivera Station.Gastellum told deputies he started the fire while trying to keep warm and the blaze sparked out of control, Rothans said.Armenta said the two cities, which share ownership of the bridge, face three options: building a temporary bridge, constructing just one lane on the span, or building a brand new bridge.“This (bridge closing) is a crisis for Pico Rivera and Montebello because Beverly Boulevard serves as a lifeline for residents, students and businesses and affects areas for miles around,” Armenta said.“The question is what to do about it. Either way, it’s going to be many months before it’s in use.”Building a temporary bridge would cost $800,000 to $1 million. Building just one lane of the bridge would cost $500,000 to $600,000.Rebuilding the entire bridge would cost $10.7 million, officials have said.All three choices would take months to complete and demand money neither city can afford, Armenta said.Montebello Mayor Bill Molinari said he is seeking the help of the U.S. military.“I’ve instructed staff to ask the military – the Army – if they have any equipment available that can help us erect something quickly,” he said.“They have those pre-made bridges that just need to be assembled. If they can fix the Santa Monica Freeway in three weeks, like they did after the (Northrdige) earthquake, we should be able to get something up quickly.”City councils from the two cities will hold a joint meeting at 5 p.m. Wednesday at Pico Rivera City Hall. Officials from the county are expected to brief local officials on the costs and logistics of the available alternatives, Armenta said.Since the fire destroyed the Pico Rivera end of the bridge over the Rio Hondo flood-control channel last week, county and city officials have been scrambling to lessen the headaches for commuters, as well as the economic fallout from losing one of three main thoroughfares through Pico Rivera and Montebello.Nearby road construction on Whittier Boulevard in Montebello and on the Rosemead Boulevard bridge in Pico Rivera has added to the traffic congestion. pam.wight@sgvn.com(562) 698-0955, Ext. 3029last_img read more