Sporadic incidents of violence took place in several parts of West Bengal since polling started on Sunday morning in seven civic bodies, including five municipalities, one municipal corporation and one Notified Area that is a settlement area in transition from rural to urban. While Opposition parties alleged that ruling Trinamool Congress (TMC) cadre were behind the violence, the TMC leadership denied the allegations. Till 7.15 p.m. 77.3% votes were polled. However, this figure is likely to increase as some voters were still in queue. Polls are being held for the Durgapur Municipal Corporation in Paschim Bardhaman district, Dhupguri Municipality in Jalpaiguri district, Buniadpur Municipality in South Dinajpur district, Nalhati Municipality in Birbhum district, Haldia and Panskura Municipalities in the Purba Medinipur district, and the Coopers’ Camp Notified Area in Nadia district. Apart from these, by-polls are being held for one ward in the Jhargram Municipality of Jhargram district, and one ward in the Champdani Municipality of Hooghly district. Most of the incidents of violence took place in the Durgapur Municipal Corporation (DMC) area in Paschim Bardhaman district. Two police personnel were allegedly assaulted and a rifle was snatched by miscreants in the Kada Road area in Durgapur. A polling booth was also vandalised. In the afternoon, bombs were hurled near a polling booth in Ward Number 13 in the Main Gate area.“Two personnel were assaulted and are severely injured. We have got information that there were some people [involved in the incident] who were Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) supporters. The rifle has been recovered,” said a senior official of the Assansol-Durgapur Police Commissionerate. He added that no one has been arrested so far.
SURREY, B.C. — Mounties say a significant increase in violent crime in the first quarter of 2019 in Surrey, B.C., is partly due to a new Statistics Canada reporting requirement, and the change is likely to affect police data across the country.The federal agency announced revisions to its Uniform Crime Reporting Survey last year, following national media attention and police reviews of the use of the “unfounded” designation for sexual assaults.The changes took effect Jan. 1 and mean that “founded” occurrences now include offences where there may be no evidence to substantiate that an incident took place, but there is also no credible evidence to confirm it didn’t happen.Previously, offences that could not be substantiated with evidence were not included in a city’s crime statistics.Surrey RCMP say it’s too early to fully assess the impact of the changes on crime statistics, but its analysis shows that some crime types are impacted more than others including assaults, uttering threats and shoplifting.In the first quarter of 2019, total Criminal Code offences increased four per cent in Surrey compared with the first quarter of 2018, while violent crime jumped 43 per cent with notable increases in robberies, sexual offences and assaults.The large Metro Vancouver municipality appears to be among the first jurisdictions to release first-quarter statistics for 2019. Not all police departments release detailed quarterly numbers, says Surrey RCMP Cpl. Elenore Sturko.She says Mounties are taking a hard look at the data. Some of it is not attributable to the data-collection change — for example, a 48 per cent increase in robberies reflects a genuine theft spike that occurred in the city earlier this year.“We don’t want to completely write off everything and just say, ‘Oh, don’t worry about it. It’s because of the change,’ ” she says.“Violent crime in Surrey is something that is a priority and is remaining a priority for us. But understandably, some of this is as a result of the (Uniform Crime Reporting Survey) changes.”Sexual offences jumped by 48 per cent in the first quarter of 2019 compared with the same time period last year, while assaults increased 40 per cent.It’s difficult to say exactly what portion of the violent crime jump was caused by the Statistics Canada change and it’s going to be hard to directly compare 2019 data with previous years, she adds.Surrey RCMP “fully support” the change, Sturko stresses.“The reasoning behind making this change is a really important one, I think. It’s giving statistics that are more victim-centred,” she says.“Hopefully, as a result of these important changes, we’ll be able to eliminate the under-reporting of these serious crime types.”Statistics Canada has said that a victim-centred approach to recording crimes is emerging. The approach puts forth that, unless there is concrete evidence to prove the crime did not happen, it should be believed that the crime occurred.The statistics agency likely won’t release the Canada-wide 2019 crime data until spring 2020, says Robert Gordon, a Simon Fraser University criminology professor. It will be impossible to compare it to previous years, he says.“Basically, the clock stopped Dec. 31 and it restarted under a new reporting and categorization regime Jan. 1,” Gordon says.He says the changes reflect a major revision to the way police forces count crimes. Sexual assault and family violence have long been considered to be under-reported, and this change aims to address that, he says.For example, a complainant who tells police they were assaulted but refuses to proceed with the investigation will now be included in the crime numbers, as will a third party who reports child abuse but the child can’t or won’t report the crime, he says.“All these things where the victim says, ‘Ah, I don’t want to bother,’ you should still be recording them because they are actually crime incidents. It’s important to keep an account of those.”The change moves Canadians closer to understanding the extent of crime in our communities, but there is still an unknown number of offences out there that never get reported to police, he notes.“This new approach won’t change that one bit.”The Canadian Press
Former West Ham United player Marlon Harewood has revealed he is in the business of tinkering supercars.The ex-Aston Villa striker is pimping up the motors of England and Premier League stars now that he has hung up his boots. His customers include England players like Harry Kane, 25, John Stones, 24, Kyle Walker and Fabian Delph, both aged 28.Harewood, 39, said, according to Daily Star:“We have fitted PlayStations, printers and coffee machines into clients’ cars. We recently did a makeover on an Audi Q7 for a Man United player.”“We gave the car a respray and added a body kit before completely changing the interior, including the seats and dashboard. When you see what the car looks like before and after, it’s exciting. It gives you a buzz.”“There are plenty of other companies who provide similar services, but a lot of footballers struggle to find someone who they can trust.”Report: England’s Rice gets death threats George Patchias – September 9, 2019 England International Declan Rice has received death threats.Rice a one time Ireland International, switched allegiances only this year. The West Ham United man played for…“But because I’ve played the game, they know I’m not going to try and rip them off.”“There is so much competition between the young players these days. They all want to be seen driving something better than their team-mates.”“Social media plays a huge role. They see flash cars on Instagram and want the same thing.”“Some get bored very quickly and change it after 12 months. I believe Jack Butland has had his car wrapped in six colours over the years.”“I wanted to start a car business so players could avoid losing money. It’s a short career, and when you get to a certain age, you want that money you wasted on that car.”“Hopefully with our help, players will avoid paying over the odds.”
Southampton have announced the dismissal of Mark Hughes as manager after just eight months in the dugoutThe Manchester United legend was recruited by Southampton on March 14 and helped them avoid relegation from the Premier League last season.Afterwards, Hughes was awarded a three-year contract to continue coaching the club he once played for himself.But the Saints’ 2-2 draw with United in the Premier League on Saturday proved to be Hughes’ final game in charge with the club only 18th in the table.“Southampton Football Club can today confirm it has parted company with First Team Manager Mark Hughes,” read a statement on the club website.Merson believes Arsenal should sign Sancho Manuel R. Medina – September 14, 2019 Borussia Dortmund winger Jadon Sancho might be the perfect player to play for the Gunners, according to former England international Paul Merson.“The search for a new manager to take the club forward is already underway.”Hughes’ assistants, Mark Bowen and Eddie Niedzwiecki, have also departed the south coast.The Welshman has now been fired twice in the space of a year following his dismissal from Stoke City in January.Southampton, who have only won once in the Premier League this term, will next face Tottenham away on Wednesday at Wembley.
May 2, 2018 Updated: 5:03 PM SAN DIEGO (KUSI) — According to a study conducted by GasBuddy, “Gasoline prices are at their highest levels since 2014 and will continue to rise through Memorial Day.”Many metro areas are already seeing prices well over $3 a gallon, many places in San Diego County are even seeing prices higher than $4 a gallon.The new study by GasBuddy has found the best and worst days of the weeks to buy gas to maximize savings at the pump and avoid the lines during the busy summer travel season. “The case of the Mondays” is not a thing when it comes to pumping gas. The study states, “Monday offers the lowest average gas price in 21 states, making it the best day to fill-up. Friday has the most expensive average and is the worst day to buy gas in 19 states.“Though there is variation in daily gas prices across different states, the consensus is that the earlier motorists fill-up during the week, the better,” says Patrick DeHaan, head of petroleum analysis at GasBuddy. “Following Monday, Sunday is the cheapest day to fill-up. Conversely, Thursday follows Friday as the most expensive day to fill-up.”Furthermore, the study found that “gas stations across the country are least busy on Sundays, followed by Mondays. And Friday is the busiest day to fill-up your tank. Posted: May 2, 2018 Best and worst days of the week to buy gas KUSI Newsroom, KUSI Newsroom Categories: California News, Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter
Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享The Alaska State Troopers arrested a Soldotna man following a vehicle pursuit off Gaswell Road on April 11, at 8:50 p.m. McAdoo was remanded at Wildwood Pretrial Facility and held with no bail pending arraignment. According to the online dispatch, McAdoo failed to stop for troopers and a pursuit ensued. He was stopped after spike strips were deployed. The outstanding warrant was for fail to appear at arraignment, the original charges being theft 4th and violation of conditions of release. Troopers attempted to stop a black 1999 Volkswagen off Gaswell Road to serve an outstanding arrest warrant on the driver, Dakota Lynn McAdoo, age 25. McAdoo was arrested for Fail to Stop at the Direction of a Peace Officer 1st and Assault 3rd, for placing his passenger in fear of serious physical injury by his reckless driving.
A little over a month ago, CEO Doug Manoni informed staffers that he intended to step down and transition to executive chairman after eight years at the company helm. Minna RheeSourceMedia’s chief product and audience officer, Minna Rhee, has left the company after four-and-a-half years, a company spokeswoman confirmed to Folio:.Rhee joined SourceMedia late in 2103 as chief digital officer, at the time a new role created amid the company’s ambitious and subsequently well-documented digital expansion.She served for a time as chief digital and marketing officer, overseeing initiatives like the company’s relaunch of its digital platforms under a unified CMS before shifting to chief product and audience officer, her most recent title, around the time Matt Yorke was brought in from IDG as chief marketing officer, in January 2017.Representatives for SourceMedia didn’t go into detail on the circumstances surrounding Rhee’s departure, and Rhee declined to comment, but her name and title appear to have been removed from SourceMedia’s corporate homepage as well as the mastheads of its various brands, including The American Banker and Financial Planning, at some point over the last three weeks.
US Justice Department Files Criminal Charges Against Chinas Huawei Huawei 5G TVHuaweiChina has warned against further retaliation after telecom giant Huawei was barred by the Trump administration from the US market. Taking strong note of the decision taken by the US President Donald Trump to bar American companies from installing the foreign-made telecom equipment posing a national security threat, Beijing has vowed to safeguard the rights and interest of its business firms.On Wednesday Donald Trump signed an executive order to bar US firms from installing the foreign-made telecom equipment which poses a national security threat. China has accused the US of taking the decision to purposely ban Huawei from US networks. Reacting sharply to Trump’s decision, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Lu Kang said: “China will defend its business’ rights and interests. As for China’s view on the executive order (of Trump), we can say that nobody says this as a constructive and friendly gesture.” The US has raised apprehensions on Huawei-the world’s largest provider of telecommunications equipment for a possible spying risk to Western infrastructure networks. China’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Lu Kang speaks during a briefing in BeijingGREG BAKER/AFP/Getty ImagesThe decision to restrict Huawei comes amid a fresh round of trade war between two of the world’s largest economies. The effect of the trade war can also be felt in the Indian markets, as the overseas investors offloaded over Rs. 1142 crore local shares on Wednesday trade. Lu said: “We have noted the US Department of Commerce decision. China always asks its business to comply with laws and regulations in export control and fulfill its international obligations. We always ask them to abide by other country’s laws regulations in their overseas business.”He further went on to add: “But we are against other countries’ unilateral sanctions based on domestic law and practices that abuse export control measures. We urge the US to stop such practice and create favorable conditions for business cooperation. China will take necessary measures to safeguard Chinese business’ legitimate rights and interests.” Close IBTimes VideoRelated VideosMore videos Play VideoPauseMute0:01/1:20Loaded: 0%0:01Progress: 0%Stream TypeLIVE-1:19?Playback Rate1xChaptersChaptersDescriptionsdescriptions off, selectedSubtitlessubtitles settings, opens subtitles settings dialogsubtitles off, selectedAudio Trackdefault, selectedFullscreenThis is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window. COPY LINKAD Loading … Apparently, Huawei is fighting a major legal battle against the US to restrict the extradition of its CFO Meng Wanzhou, who was arrested in Canada for violating American sanctions against Iran. Meng, the daughter to Huawei owner Ren Zhengfei, has been put behind the bars for her role in misleading banks about the company’s business dealings. However, Huawei has argued that the Trump administration is purposely targeting the company as it has emerged as a major challenge for the next generation 5G telecom technology.
Vijay Devarakonda with his brother Anand DevarakondaTwitterActor Anand Devarakonda, who is making his acting debut with Dorasani (Dorasaani), has revealed that his brother Vijay Devarakonda is very tensed about his career even after watching the film.Dorasani is slated for its theatrical release on July 12. Its promos have grabbed many eyeballs and generated a lot of curiosity about the film. Anand Devarakonda, who has pinned a lot of hopes on the movie, is currently busy promoting the flick, which is expected to get him the big break of his career.”Dorasani is a periodic love story set in the rural areas of Telangana. The film is a very realistic approach towards filmmaking and none of the roles are forced. The happenings are real and we have shot the film is some real locations to get the authentic vibe. The hard-hitting proceedings will surely shock the audience,” Anand Devarakonda told 123Telugu.What has raised more curiosity about Dorasani is that Anand Devarakonda is the brother of Vijay Devarakonda, who is the most successful actor among the younger generation of stars. Until its pre-release event, the Geetha Govindam star did not talk about Anand’s career and Dorasani.When asked about his brother’s reaction, Anand told, “Vijay was super tensed before watching the film. He had no hopes on the project and watched it with an open mind. Once he saw me perform, he was very happy. There is no denying the fact that he is even more tensed now as the film is ready for a release.”However, Anand Devarakonda has quit his engineering job at a reputed company like Deloitte in the US to pursue a career in acting. His brother Vijay Devarakonda was very upset with his decision and he stopped talking to Anand. The actor himself revealed it at the pre-release event of Dorasani, where he was a chief guest.Addressing the event of Dorasani, Vijay Devarakonda said, “I didn’t like Anand quitting his job at Deloitte in the USA. I told him that acting is not an easy job. Since that day, I didn’t inquire about how Dorasaani was progressing. I watched the film before coming to the event and I must say, the entire team has made me proud.”