3 Dec

Gangster Munna Bajrangi’s wife had flagged threat to his life

first_imgMore than a week before Purvanchal gangster Munna Bajrangi was murdered in a Baghpat jail on Monday, his wife Seema Singh had alleged that the Uttar Pradesh police along with some political leaders and officials were conspiring to get him ‘eliminated’ outside the jail in a ‘fake encounter.’ She had requested Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath to step up her husband’s security.“The officials of the U.P. STF, U.P. police and some influential ‘safedposh’ people are part of the conspiracy. My husband’s life is under threat,” Ms. Singh told journalists at the Lucknow Press Club on June 29.Ms. Singh also said that during his stay at Jhansi jail there had been an attempt to poison him. While on Monday she was not available for comment and Bajrangi’s brother and nephew had their phones switched off, his lawyer Vikas Shrivastava, who was in Baghpat, echoed Ms. Singh’s theory. “It is a planned murder and done by the administration. Some politicians and criminals are behind it,” he alleged.In March 2016, Bajrangi’s brother-in-law Pushpjeet Singh, a lawyer who even pursued his legal cases, along with a friend was gunned down by unidentified assailants in Lucknow. This followed the murder of Bajrangi’s close aide Mohammad Tariq last year. A native of Puredayal village in Jaunpur district, Munna Bajrangi was born into a Thakur family as Prem Prakash Singh. After dropping out in class 5, he soon discovered his fascination for weapons and as per people who knew him, aspired to become a “filmy don.” He was barely 17 when he was arrested for possessing illegal arms. “After he came out of jail, he got involved with a local mafia don called Gajraj Singh and started working for him. On Gajraj’s call, he committed a couple of murders early on [first he murdered a local businessman in Jaunpur followed by the killing of a BJP leader]. He aspired to be a gangster,” said a distant relative of Bajrangi, requesting anonymity.In the 1990s, Bajrangi, who had by then become a notorious figure in Purvanchal with his extortions and murder cases, started working with jailed MLA from Mau and alleged gangster Mukhtar Ansari. In 1998, he even miraculously survived an encounter by the Delhi police.In 2005, he was accused of executing the brutal and sensational murder of former BJP MLA Krishnanand Rai at the behest of Ansari, who is still facing trial in the case. Around 400 bullets were fired at the MLA’s convoy by the assailants armed with AK47 rifles. The murder was allegedly a retaliation in the rivalry between Mr. Ansari and another Purvanchal gangster Brijesh Singh, with whom Rai was associated. The State had then declared a bounty of ₹7 lakh on Bajrangi, who was arrested in Mumbai in 2009. He faced over two dozen criminal cases, including those for murder, attempt to murder, extortion and gangster activities. .Over the years, Bajrangi had also developed political ambition and in 2012, while he was lodged in jail, he contested the Assembly election from Mariyahu seat in Jaunpur as an Apna Dal candidate. Though he lost, he stood third with a respectable 21% vote share. In 2017, his wife Seema Singh contested from the same seat but unsuccessfully.UP ADG Jails, Chandra Prakash, said it was a “big lapse” on the part of the officials that a revolver had been sneaked in. While police are investigating the motive behind the murder, Mr. Prakash said the accused Rathi himself faced several criminal cases, most of them in Uttarakhand. Rathi, himself an alleged gangster, had been shifted to Baghpat jail recently.last_img read more

28 Nov

London Olympics: Beijing silver medallist Lucie Decosse wins gold in wmen’s 70kg judo

first_imgFrance’s Lucie Decosse took the women’s 70kg judo gold at the Olympics on Wednesday, beating Germany’s Kerstin Thiele by waza-ari in the final. Decosse won silver in the 63 kg class in Beijing four years ago and has since taken two World titles in the 70 kg class, and was the clear favourite against Thiele, whose greatest achievement to date was a European silver medal in 2009.Colombia’s Yuri Alvear and Dutch judoka Edith Bosch won the bronze medals after both coming through the repechage.Alvear took bronze by waza-ari against China’s Fei Chen, while Bosch won her medal on a referee’s decision after finishing level with South Korea’s Ye-Sul Hwang on one yuko each.For Bosch, it was her second Olympic bronze in two Games after she received the same prize in Beijing four years ago.last_img read more

17 Sep

2018 MCAS Miramar Airshow takes place September 2830

first_img2018 MCAS Miramar Airshow takes place September 28-30 Posted: September 21, 2018 September 21, 2018 KUSI Newsroom Updated: 6:59 PMcenter_img KUSI Newsroom, Categories: KUSI, Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek  . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsThe 2018 Miramar Air Show will take place September 28-30. Colonel Charles Dockery, Commanding Officer at MCAS Miramar, joined us to give us a preview.last_img read more

12 Sep

Florence The Machine Debut Hunger Video Reveal New Album Details

first_img https://twitter.com/flo_tweet/status/992110290442510336 ‘High As Hope’ LP will drop June 29 and Florence Welch & The Machine shared an appetizer that will leave you hungering for more Philip MerrillGRAMMYs May 4, 2018 – 4:39 pm The hopes of Florence Welch & The Machine fans were raised with the April 12 release of “Sky Full Of Song” and its accompanying video, which already has more than 6 million views on YouTube. On May 3 the Welch & Co. dropped a second helping with “Hunger” and announced the June 29 release date for their upcoming album, High As Hope.High As Hope will mark the follow-up to Florence Welch & The Machine’s third studio album, How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful, which received a nomination at the 58th GRAMMY Awards for Best Pop Vocal Album and reached No. 1 on the Billboard 200. Interviewed at a Recording Academy Texas Chapter event that year, Welch described her emotional-sonic combination on GRAMMY-nominated songs such as “Ship To Wreck” and “What Kind Of Man,” saying, “I had those really big feelings and so in order to express them, I needed to make big sounds.” Florence & The Machine Debut “Hunger” Video, Reveal New Album Details New Florence Welch Video & Upcoming Album florence-machine-debut-hunger-video-reveal-new-album-details Email News Facebook Twitter As for her newest songs, the videos for “Sky Full Of Song” and “Hunger” were directed by AG Rojas. Welch described the first ballad as being based on the “incredible, celestial, but somehow lonely feeling” of coming down from the high of performance.”We all have a hunger” is the sentiment behind “Hunger,” with the lyric addressing deep issues of love, death, bodies, and beauty. Exemplifying the song’s message of how life can grow from following expressive drives, Welch puts her own body into it with dancing driven by the same passion we rely on in her vocals and composition. “Hunger” is an anthem that lets you savor its wonderful taste, but like an appetizer, it will leave you hungry for more.Catching Up On Music News Powered By The Recording Academy Just Got Easier. Have A Google Home Device? “Talk To GRAMMYs”Read morelast_img read more

11 Sep

WHS SOFTBALL Wildcats Win BackToBack Games Moran Gives Up 3 Hits While

first_imgWILMINGTON, MA — The Wilmington High School Varsity Softball team (8-5) defeated Wakefield High by a score of 6-1 on Thursday, May 16, 2019.Both teams scored a run in the third inning. Jenna Sweeney got on by an error and proceeded to steal second. She advanced to third on a sacrifice fly to right by Ashley Crawford. Ryan Bailey came up to the plate and got the RBI.In the fifth inning, the Wildcats scored another going up 2-1. Kacie Bourrell singled sharply over shortstop. Unfortunately, she was forced at second by Jenna Sweeney. Ashley Crawford and Ally Moran each had singles, with Sweeney scoring her second run of the contest.In the sixth inning, Wilmington scored four runs by playing the short game and forcing Wakefield to make the plays. Gianna Brunetto laid down a great bunt from the left side of the batters box. Pinch hitter Tori Gemellaro singled for her first varsity hit. Kacie Bourrell hit it sharply to the third baseman, who couldn’t make the play. Jenna Sweeney and Ashley Crawford each added singles. After a couple of fielders choices, the Wildcats wound up with the four runs.Good defensive plays were made by Chase Anderson on back-to-back plays in the bottom of the fifth inning.“Ally Moran pitched great again today,” said coach Audrey Cabral. “She only allowed 2 hits while striking out 10.”—The Wilmington High School Varsity Softball team (9-5) defeated Melrose High by a score of 1-0 on Saturday, May 18, 2019.Wilmington scratched out their only run in the bottom of the second inning on a lead off single by Kayla Bourrell.  She moved to second on an error and wound up taking third and home on passed balls.The Wildcats got out of trouble in the top of the fourth inning with runners on first and second and no outs.  Ally Moran bore down and struck out the cleanup batter.  The next batter hit a scorching line drive to right field where Gianna Brunetto made a great catch and immediately doubled off the runner at first for an inning ending double play.Hitting was at a premium for both teams. Each team tried working the short game just to get runners on.  Ryan Bailey led the charge offensively for the wildcats going 2-3 on the day.Ally Moran pitched another great game, striking out 12 and giving up only one hitter in the win.Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email wilmingtonapple@gmail.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedWHS SOFTBALL: Wildcats Defeat Winchester, Lose To Arlington In Close GamesIn “Sports”WHS SOFTBALL: Wildcats Defeat Lexington, Moran Picks Up Another WinIn “Sports”WHS SOFTBALL: Wildcats’ Offense Explodes For 15 Runs In Win Over NewburyportIn “Sports”last_img read more

5 Sep

Budget 2015 3yr FDs could get Tax Exemption Financial Institutions Call for

first_imgReutersThe upcoming Budget 2015 could see the Narendra Modi government making fixed deposits of three years and above tax-free against the current five-year term, in a bid to bring term deposits on par with mutual funds and tax-free bonds, which have seen a large number of investors. In a pre-budget meeting with Finance Minister Arun Jaitley, senior bank executives and heads of financial institutions recommended the introduction of corporate tax slabs, in the lines of individual taxation.The banking industry reportedly strongly supports the idea of fixed deposits of lower maturity being considered for tax-free status. In the recent past, mutual funds have been able to draw many customers, thanks to the three-year lock-in period, making the financial instruments more attractive to the common man.However, banking officials want a level playing field, and fixed deposits allow the cost of funds to be brought down. Tax rebates under Section 80C are inconsistent in their minimum lock-in periods, with investments in public provident funds account being locked-in for 15 years, while the national savings certificate has a six-year lock-in period, and three-years for equity linked savings scheme (ELSS.)As a percentage of gross domestic spending, financial saving has slipped by 10 basis points to 1.7% in 2012-13, with gross domestic savings too witnessing a more significant 1.2% fall to 30.1%, for the same period, according to EconomicTimes.Currently, investments up to ₹1.5 lakh in post office savings schemes, bank deposits, principal on home loan, public provident fund and life insurance are exempted from tax.last_img read more

3 Sep

Russia forces among dozens dead in IS east Syria attacks

first_imgA man carries a wounded child out of a building following a car bomb explosion in the northern Syrian city of Idlib on May 26, 2018. Photo : AFP Russia forces among dozens dead in IS east Syria attacksRussian fighters were among dozens of pro-government forces killed in eastern Syria this week in a deadly wave of attacks by Islamic State group jihadists, Moscow and a monitor said Sunday.After the collapse of its so-called “caliphate” last year, IS now only holds tiny pockets of Syria, mainly in the vast desert stretching to its eastern border.This week, the jihadists ramped up their hit-and-run attacks on regime positions there, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights war monitor.The deadliest was on Wednesday, when IS targeted a group of Syrian and allied Russian fighters near the town of Mayadeen in the eastern province of Deir Ezzor.”There were 35 pro-government forces killed, including at least nine Russians. Some of those Russian nationals were government troops, but not all of them,” said Observatory head Rami Abdel Rahman.The remaining 26 were all Syrian forces, he told AFP. A steadfast ally of President Bashar al-Assad, Moscow has helped his army recapture swathes of territory since 2015 by providing air strikes and ground troops.There are also widespread reports of private Russian mercenaries on the ground.Moscow’s defence ministry said Sunday four of its servicemen were killed in clashes in Deir Ezzor.Two were military advisers supporting Syrian artillery operations and died immediately, and another two died of their wounds in a Russian-operated military hospital in Syria.Three others were wounded.IS claims attackRussia did not specify when, where, or whether IS was involved, but it appeared to be the same incident as the IS attack reported near Mayadeen.The jihadist group itself claimed it attacked regime forces in eastern Syria on Wednesday.The assault was the largest in series of IS guerilla raids on regime positions this week.On Tuesday, 26 regime forces were killed in a surprise IS attack in desert areas of the neighbouring province of Homs, according to the Observatory.And a pair of IS assaults between Saturday night and Sunday morning killed at least 11 pro-regime forces in Deir Ezzor.”The latest attack brings to 76 the number of Syrian troops and allied Iranian and Russian forces killed since the escalation,” Abdel Rahman said Sunday.He said the uptick came the day after the last IS fighters were bussed out of southern parts of Syria’s capital Damascus, including the ravaged Palestinian camp of Yarmuk, in a negotiated withdrawal.Many headed towards the Badiya, the stretch of Syrian desert extending from Homs province through Deir Ezzor to the eastern border with Iraq.The Observatory said the evacuated fighters were actively involved in the recent attacks.”IS is trying to take the initiative and show it can still threaten the regime and its allies despite the losses it suffered in other areas,” said Abdel Rahman.Government positions in the Badiya make for an easy target: they are few and far between, so reinforcements take a long time to arrive.’Hinder’ armyRussian-backed Syrian troops hold the western half of Deir Ezzor province, which is divided diagonally by the Euphrates River. US-backed fighters hold the east bank.The river is meant to serve as a de-confliction line to prevent the two sides from clashing as they pursue separate assaults against IS.A Syrian military source based in the east told AFP that Assad’s troops had cleared large parts of territory from IS, which was now lashing out.”Daesh wants to hinder the army’s combing operations in the Badiya by waging these intermittent attacks,” said the source, using the Arabic acronym for IS.It confirmed Russian military advisers were present during Wednesday’s attack and were among those killed.Russia’s government officially acknowledges that 92 soldiers have been killed in Syria, although some estimate the number is even higher.The highest casualties were in March, when a transport plane crashed at Hmeimim airbase where Moscow’s airforce is based, killing all 39 people on board.On Sunday, a local Russian newspaper in the Siberian city of Chita reported on the funerals of four soldiers it said were killed in Syria on May 23.The international group Conflict Intelligence Team said up to six Russian soldiers could have been killed in the attack, quoting social media reports of a funeral for a Russian soldier that took place in the Western Russian city of Smolensk this week.last_img read more

2 Sep

Flooding Victims Advocacy Group Sue City Of Houston

first_img X 00:00 /01:24 Share To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code: Listen Florian MartinEd Browne and Cynthia Neely are with Residents Against Flooding. The group is suing the city, saying it isn’t doing enough to mitigate flooding.This story was updated from an earlier version.The federal suit is brought by the group Residents Against Flooding and several Memorial City homeowners. Besides the city, it names one of its redevelopment authorities as a plaintiff, the Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone 17.They allege the city isn’t stopping development that they say causes preventable flooding in Houston.“We haven’t put in proper ordinance-required detention and we look the other way when a developer doesn’t put in that detention,” Ed Browne, chair of RAF, said.He said the neighborhoods around TIRZ 17 in the Memorial area didn’t use to flood, but since new development went up, it floods regularly – including during last year’s Memorial Day flood and the recent Tax Day flood.The lawsuit isn’t seeking money, but for the city to provide flood protection, like detention ponds. It also asks for the appointment of a “special master” to oversee future development in that area.Representatives of TIRZ 17 didn’t respond to an email requesting comment in time for this story.Mayor Sylvester Turner said the city is doing what it can to address flooding, including appointing a flood czar, collaborating with the county and other entities, and seeking grants for flooding projects.“So I think even in a short period of time, we have taken some very definitive steps to move the dime as it relates to flooding,” Turner said.Browne doubts the city prioritizes flooding. He said his group has lobbied the city for years without any improvements, and the lawsuit is their last option.last_img read more

2 Sep

Companies Struggle To Diversify Workforce

first_img To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code: 00:00 /03:27 Listen X Jane Howze says companies need to make a concerted effort to diversify their workforce.Many companies strive for diversity in their workforce, but especially on the executive level, they are running behind in their goals of hiring of women and minorities.And Jane Howze, founder of The Alexander Group, a Houston-based executive search firm, says diversity extends beyond those definitions.For this week’s Bauer Business Focus, Howze discusses the state of diversity in American companies and what can be done to improve it. You can listen to the conversation above. Share last_img read more