7 Nov

Cowboys lasso Titans to claim back-to-back titles

first_img@Eden_RichardsThe Queensland Cowboys have gone back-to-back in the Men’s Elite Eight after defeating the Queensland Titans 6-3 win at the National Touch League in Coffs Harbour.The reigning champions led the match from start to finish on a beautiful night at C.ex Coffs International Stadium, showing their class from the early minutes of play.It was an unfortunate result for the Titans who had performed so well for the whole tournament, but even they will appreciate the class and talent of the Cowboys’ side.A two-touchdown performance from Cormac Hoch helped his side to a 3-1 lead at half-time and they used this momentum to skip away in the second half. Jack Hughes opened the scoring in the early minutes of the second half, giving the Cowboys a commanding 4-1 lead in the process.They went on with it in the 27th minute, scoring the easiest of touchdowns through Damon Moore to lead 5-1.A stalemate emerged for the next seven minutes, before Cowboy Lachlan Hoch grabbed his first of the night to make it 6-1 with a little over five minutes to play.The Titans scored a consolation touchdown in the 36th minute to add some respectability to the scoreboard, but Graeme Clancy’s efforts were not enough, with the scoreboard showing a 6-2 scoreline in the Cowboys’ favour.Clancy grabbed a third touchdown on the hooter but the celebrations had already started for the Cowboys who held on for a 6-3 win.It was a complete 40-minute performance from the Cowboys who opened the scoring very early in the match to grab the upper hand from the get-go.In fact it took just three minutes for the Cowboys to cross the line, with Braydon Hegarty crossing in the left corner.Cormac Hoch sliced through the Titans’ defence in the 10th minute to make it 2-0, putting his side in a great position in the process.But just minutes later, The Titans cut the deficit to one touchdown through the handy work of Clancy who crossed in the right corner.However, the Cowboys continued to pile on the pressure and it paid off in the 16th minute, with Cormac Hoch scoring a spectacular touchdown to put his side up 3-1. That’s the way it stayed at half-time, and the Cowboys used that momentum to go on with the match and claim the title.Queensland Cowboys 6 (C. Hoch 2, L Hoch, Hegarty, Hughes, Moore touchdowns) def. Queensland Titans 3 (Clancy 3 touchdowns)Related LinksMen’s E8 finallast_img read more

28 Oct

10 months agoMan City striker Gabriel Jesus sets sights on displacing Aguero

first_imgMan City striker Gabriel Jesus sets sights on displacing Agueroby Freddie Taylor10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveGabriel Jesus is desperate to replace Sergio Aguero as Manchester City’s first choice striker.The 21-year-old has struggled for form since his close-knit family returned to Brazil after their UK holiday visa expired 18 months ago.But after scoring four in Wednesday night’s 9-0 win over Burton Albion, Jesus feels he’s back in form.”I’ve already forgotten the problems of last year and I’m really happy now,” he said. “My family is going back to Brazil, unfortunately, but that’s an issue just at home, not on the pitch.”I’ve had amazing days beside them, I’m grateful for the family I have, they are always beside me and allowing me just to focus on football.”I’ll miss them, obviously, but I’m mentally stronger now and I just want to play well, score goals and help the team.”He added: “Sure (I can do it) like when I first came here,” he told Esporte Interativo. “I’ve always respected and will always respect Sergio and the manager’s decisions, but it’s up to me to pursue a place in the team.”I try to show on a daily basis, training hard trying to get into the first XI.”I know Sergio is having an amazing season, but I’m here able to help whenever they need me.”I haven’t played a lot on Premier League this season and I want to help.” About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

13 Oct

Highlights from the federal governments fall economic update tabled Tuesday

first_imgOTTAWA – The federal Liberals gave an update Tuesday on the government’s finances, and with it, how they plan to spend a windfall generated by better than expected economic growth.Here are some highlights from the fall economic update:— Positive economic developments have left the government with about $46.6 billion more to spend over five years than they’d projected in the 2017 budget.— The economic update details ways they plan to spend roughly $14.9 billion of that over five years, leaving the rest to pull down the deficit.— The deficit this fiscal year is now projected to be $18.4 billion, down from the spring projection of $25.5 billion. By 2021-2022, the deficit will fall to $10.9 billion. It had originally been projected to come in at $15.8 billion.— The government focused on four major spending measures in the update: indexing the Canada Child Benefit to cost of living increases, expanding the Working Income Tax benefit program, formalizing a promised cut to the small business tax rate and ongoing work to overhaul the tax code.— The indexation of the Canada Child Benefit project will now begin in July 2018, two years ahead of schedule. Over five years, the increases are projected to cost about $5.6 billion. As an example, the government says someone currently receiving the maximum amount of $6,400 for a child under six would see that rise to $6,496 next year, and $6,626 by 2019-2020.— Expanding the Working Income Tax Benefit program. The program is designed to account for the fact that when people go off government assistance and get a job, their paycheque may not be as high as government support and so there’s less incentive to work. The benefit seeks to make up some of that pay difference. The government says they’ll spend $500 million a year starting in 2019 to allow more people to qualify.— Taken together, measures to lower the small business tax rate to 10 per cent next year and nine per cent in 2019, along with ongoing overhauls to the tax code, will cost the government $1.3 billion between 2017 and 2022, but that doesn’t take into account one of the major changes coming to tax rules on how passive investments are handled.— Almost $9 billion in program spending is detailed in the update, some of which has not been previously announced at all, or has only been detailed in very broad strokes. Among the new programs: over $1 billion for Fisheries and Oceans Canada and Canadian Coast Guard Services over six years; $760 million for security at Canada’s embassies and consulates over six years; $4 million over two years to expunge the criminal records of Canadian previously convicted of consensual sexual activity with same-sex partners; $526 million for legalization marijuana and a further $150 million over six years to handle drug-impaired driving.last_img read more

13 Oct

How major US stock indexes fared Thursday

first_imgU.S. stocks climbed Thursday after the Wall Street Journal reported that U.S. officials could reduce the new tariffs on Chinese imports as part of trade negotiations between the two countries. It was the latest in a series of potentially conflicting updates on the trade dispute.On Thursday:The S&P 500 index rose 19.86 points, or 0.8 per cent, to 2,635.96.The Dow Jones Industrial Average gained 162.94 points, or 0.7 per cent, at 24,370.10.The Nasdaq composite added 49.77 points, or 0.7 per cent, to 7,084.46.The Russell 2000 index of smaller-company stocks climbed 12.55 points, or 0.9 per cent, to 1,467.25.For the week:The S&P 500 is up 39.70 points, or 1.5 per cent.The Dow is up 374.15 points, or 1.6 per cent.The Nasdaq is up 112.99 points, or 1.6 per cent.The Russell 2000 is up 19.86 points, or 1.4 per cent.For the year:The S&P 500 is up 129.11 points, or 5.2 per cent.The Dow is up 1,042.64 points, or 4.5 per cent.The Nasdaq is up 449.19 points, or 6.8 per cent.The Russell 2000 is up 118.69 points, or 8.8 per cent.The Associated Presslast_img read more

12 Oct

Rohini court summons former Haryana Minister in suicide case

first_imgNew Delhi: A Rohini court on Monday nullified the cancellation report filed by Delhi Police and issued a summon for former Haryana Home Minister Gopal Goyal Kanda and his aide Aruna Chadha in the case of Anuradha Sharma’s suicide, six months after her daughter, Geetika committed suicide in August 2012. Anuradha (62) had hanged herself fearing persecution from Kanda and his associates, who were already threatening and harassing her, according to verbal testament given by Dinesh Sharma, Geetika’s father and the complainant in the case. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murderSources familiar with the case told Millennium Post that after Geetika quit Kanda’s airline and moved to Dubai, he allegedly mailed false allegations about her professional abilities to her employers there. In her suicide note, Geetika blamed Kanda and his continued abuse as the prime reason for taking her own life. At the cancellation report hearing, the complainant added that he could not understand what had happened when he received a copy of the cancellation report in the case. The investigating officer at the time, Jawahar Singh, who also testified before ACMM Ekta Gauba, claimed that statements of the complainant, his son, and another relative were completely untraceable and that is why the cancellation report was filed in the case. However, Judge Gauba observed that Singh ‘deliberately’ failed to place the witness statements on record, hence writing to the Home Ministry asking for action to be taken against him. Also Read – Two brothers held for snatchingsWhile reading her order, Judge Gauba said, “In her second suicide note, she (Anuradha) imputed that she is dying because of the death of her daughter due to (harassment and torture by) accused Gopal Goyal Kanda and accused Aruna Chadha. The complainant also testified that Anuradha was one of the prime witnesses in the case of his daughter’s suicide, as she was aware of all kinds of abuse inflicted upon Geetika by Kanda and his associates. The court has asked the concerned police station to trace and place on record witness statements pertaining to the case. Kanda and his aide have to appear in court on April 15, to testify in the case.last_img read more

12 Oct

Fraudster caught red-handed; cops recover several fake HP products

first_imgNew Delhi: Delhi Police on Wednesday said that staff from Jyoti Nagar police station have conducted a raid at a sewage pumping house near Loni Road, New Delhi and recovered a carton full of several counterfeit HP products that included printer toners and cartridges among other things.They said that as a result of the raid, one accused, identified as Ajay Kumar (22) was caught red-handed with the counterfeit products. Police had initially filed a case based on a complaint registered by Hewlett Packard (HP) through a person holding powers of attorney in Delhi earlier this year. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murderSpeaking to the Millennium Post, DCP Atul Kumar Thakur (North East District) said that upon cursory checking of the carton in possession of the accused, nine HP cartridges with different versions of HP laser jet toners in them were discovered. The raid was conducted in the presence of an expert from the company, who checked and confirmed the nature of these products as being counterfeit. In addition to this, HP has also claimed that a raid was conducted at a computer retail store in the busy business locality of Bhikaji Cama Place where one arrest was made. According to a police seizure report in possession of Millennium Post, this raid was conducted at a basement store in Ansal Chamber-1 where about 25 pieces of different HP counterfeit products were recovered. Also Read – Two brothers held for snatchingsHowever, DCP Thakur said that he cannot disclose any information about this particular raid as investigations in the case are ongoing. In its complaint, the company alleged that certain retailers in Delhi were selling spurious and counterfeit products such as computer toners and cartridges under the brand name of HP, without the company’s consent, thus violating its copyright and intellectual property rights. The company accused these retailers of using its trademark, trade logo, and artwork to dupe unaware consumers into believing they were purchasing products manufactured by HP. The complaint also said that the alleged fraudsters packaged their counterfeit products in a manner similar to their own packaging, further trying to pass off their products as genuine. In addition to the raid in Delhi, HP representatives in India also claimed to have conducted raids with assistance from local authorities in Noida, Gurugram and at least five other states across the country. A case against the accused has been registered under section 63 of the Copyright Act at the Jyoti Nagar police station.last_img read more