May 23, 2007 (CIDRAP News) – Indonesia announced today that a 5-year-old girl died of H5N1 avian influenza, while a hospital official in Vietnam reported that a 30-year-old man is being treated for the disease, apparently marking the country’s first human case in a year and a half.Joko Suyono of the Indonesian health ministry’s avian flu center said the young girl died on May 17, according to a Xinhua news report today. She was taken to a doctor on May 8 and was hospitalized May 15 in Solo, Central Java, the report said.The girl reportedly had contact with infected birds, health ministry official Muhammad Nadhirin told the Associated Press (AP) today. About 20 birds had recently died near her home, the AP report said.If her case is confirmed by the World Health Organization (WHO), she will be listed as Indonesia’s 97th case-patient and 77th fatality. Indonesia leads the world in the number of human H5N1 cases and deaths.The WHO announced May 16 that it would accept H5N1 test results from Indonesia’s newly accredited national laboratory. Before that, the agency had refused to confirm any cases reported by Indonesia since late January, because the country had stopped sending viruses to WHO collaborating labs in December.Meanwhile, a 30-year-old man from Vietnam’s northern province of Vinh Phuc, about 35 miles from Hanoi, tested positive for H5N1 infection at a Hanoi hospital, where he continues to be treated, the AP reported today. Tran Quy, director of Bach Mai hospital, told the AP the man tested positive 3 days ago.Samples from the patient will be shipped to a WHO lab for analysis, said Hans Troedsson, a WHO official in Vietnam, according to a Canadian Press (CP) report today. Vietnam’s hasn’t had a human H5N1 case since November 2005, but Troedsson said the case is “not really a surprise,” given the known risk of H5N1 transmission from birds to humans.Quy told the AP, “The man is in a critical condition. He has a high fever, difficulty breathing, coughing, and the x-ray of his lung was completely white. All of these are typical bird flu symptoms.”The man was hospitalized last week; relatives reported he fell ill after helping prepare chickens for a wedding reception.If his infection is confirmed, it will be the country’s 94th case. With 93 confirmed cases and 42 deaths, Vietnam has the world’s second highest H5N1 toll.Vietnam had a lull in human cases and poultry outbreaks through most of 2006, during which the country was praised for its H5N1 virus control efforts. The virus resurfaced among ducks in several central Mekong Delta and central provinces in December and January. In early May the country began reporting a new rash of poultry outbreaks throughout the country.
Freshman forward Chris McCullough will enter the 2015 NBA Draft, it was announced Thursday. Multiple outlets reported it, Shams Charania of Real GM being the first, and McCullough himself confirmed it with a message he tweeted out Thursday evening.On March 4, he informed The Post-Standard of his intentions to return to Syracuse. On March 30, The P-S reported that the freshman was considering entering his name into the draft. Now, the Orange will lose its third player in the last two years to the draft, after Tyler Ennis and Jerami Grant declared early last season.McCullough tore his right ACL in Syracuse’s win over Florida State on Jan. 11 and averaged 9.3 points and 6.9 rebounds per game in the 16 games he played before the injury.SU will bring in two big men in rising freshmen Moustapha Diagne and Tyler Lydon, and will also return Chinonso Obokoh, Tyler Roberson and DaJuan Coleman. Comments AdvertisementThis is placeholder text Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on April 2, 2015 at 11:30 am Contact Matt: email@example.com | @matt_schneidman
Press Trust Of India COMMENT “With the time which is in our hand, we must ensure that India is no more a country which is not taken seriously in the Olympics. I will definitely not be satisfied as a sports minister of the country if we don’t win medals,” he said. The minister said nest year’s Tokyo Olympics is the immediate target but infrastructure needs to be put in place for future events for athletes to perform well. “Tokyo is an immediate target with the existing talent. We cannot create champions overnight. It’s not possible to create world champions in a year or two. We have to ensure that the entire infrastructure is in place,” Rijiju said.”Having said that, we have certain existing talents at our disposal and we have to make the best of it. I hope Tokyo 2020 will be a good platform for India to have a best-ever Olympic performance but we have limitations. However, there is nothing stopping us from 2024 Paris and especially the 2028 Los Angeles Olympics which is more than 8 years away” he added.READ: Lost in translation: swimmer Sun Yang’s doping case hits interpretation snagOn performing well at international eventsRijiju also emphasised on the need to do well at international sporting events.”As a young nation, we can’t afford to lag behind in the international level of competition — be it the Olympics, Asian Games or any of the world championships.”We are a young nation that’s why we have to set an ambitious target. In the meeting with IOA (national Olympic body) and NSFs (sports federations), I had given them a very ambitious target. It’s not easy but not impossible either,” he said. “We are rising. In the last six months, our ranking and performance has increased. Most of the results I’ve calculatedare the best-ever,” he said.READ: India’s chess wizard Viswanathan Anand turns 50READ: David Schumacher to race in MRF Challenge SUBSCRIBE TO US “If we can’t prepare ourselves for something that far (2028 Los Angeles Olympics) then we have to blame ourselves in terms of policymaking, setting a direction and channelising the resources,” Rijiju said at FICCI’s “Turf 2019” Global Sports Summit First Published: 11th December, 2019 15:03 IST FOLLOW US Last Updated: 11th December, 2019 16:10 IST Rijiju Expects Best-ever Haul In Tokyo, Sets Sight On 2028 Olympics Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju is hoping for a best-ever medal haul from the country’s athletes in the Tokyo Olympics. Also has a vision for 2028 Olympics Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju is hoping for a best-ever medal haul from the country’s athletes in the Tokyo Olympics but warned that the blame would lie with all the stakeholders if India fails to put up a good show in the 2028 Games. Rijiju said eight years should be enough for India to prepare its best for the Los Angeles Olympics.F1: Watch young Charles Leclerc and Max Verstappen battle in kart raceKiren Rijiju on 2028 preparations Written By LIVE TV WATCH US LIVE
Donegal GAA star Ryan McHugh helped DMG launch their SEAT LEON FR that will be used during the forthcoming Donegal International Rally 2015.The excitement is building towards next weekend’s Joule Donegal International Rally and a MASSIVE crowd is expected to descend on Donegal over the course of the weekend. Earlier today, DMG Motors unveiled their SEAT Leon FR Rally Car which will feature as a 00 Safety Car in the rally which will also be driven by Brand Manager Stephen McCaul.DMG’s SEAT Brand Ambassador and Donegal star Ryan McHugh also called in to have a go and to launch the SEAT 152 0% Finance Campaign which started earlier this month. GAA STAR HELPS DMG MOTORS LAUNCH THEIR CAR FOR DONEGAL INTERNATIONAL RALLY was last modified: June 10th, 2015 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:BusinessDMG MOTORSdonegalFeaturesnewsRyan McHugh
About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Man Utd boss Mourinho loses rag in post-match interviewby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United boss Jose Mourinho took aim at a reporter after their 3-1 defeat to Liverpool.In truth United were second best all over the pitch and the defeat kept them eight points behind Arsenal in fifth place. Mourinho’s side have now conceded 29 goals this season in the league, one more than they did across the whole of last season. Asked if he believed the players are playing for him, Mourinho snapped: “What is that? Are you calling the players dishonest? You are asking me if they are dishonest.”I believe they are honest and you believe they are dishonest. A footballer has to give the maximum every day, every match, every minute, it doesn’t matter the manager, it doesn’t matter anything.”The club that pays him, the fans that are 24 hours per day in love with our club. It’s about respect for the club and the fans. The players that don’t do the maximum you are calling them dishonest. I don’t call them dishonest at all.”
TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Tottenham planning signing spree in 2020by Paul Vegasa day agoSend to a friendShare the loveTottenham are planning a signing spree in 2020.The Daily Mail says flying full-backs Kyle Walker and Danny Rose were key figures in manager Mauricio Pochettino’s best side and Spurs feel they have lost one of their major strengths following the former’s departure to Manchester City and latter’s struggle to hit the same heights.Having signed Ryan Sessegnon, who can play down the left, for £25m from Fulham in the summer, landing a new right-back is their main priority in January.Norwich’s Max Aarons and West Brom’s Nathan Ferguson are two of Spurs’s options for that position.Beyond that Spurs intend to strengthen in central defence, central midfield and attack. They remain keen on Sporting Lisbon’s midfielder Bruno Fernandes and also have interest in Mainz forward Jean-Phillipe Mateta.
Former West Ham United player Marlon Harewood has revealed he is in the business of tinkering supercars.The ex-Aston Villa striker is pimping up the motors of England and Premier League stars now that he has hung up his boots. His customers include England players like Harry Kane, 25, John Stones, 24, Kyle Walker and Fabian Delph, both aged 28.Harewood, 39, said, according to Daily Star:“We have fitted PlayStations, printers and coffee machines into clients’ cars. We recently did a makeover on an Audi Q7 for a Man United player.”“We gave the car a respray and added a body kit before completely changing the interior, including the seats and dashboard. When you see what the car looks like before and after, it’s exciting. It gives you a buzz.”“There are plenty of other companies who provide similar services, but a lot of footballers struggle to find someone who they can trust.”Report: England’s Rice gets death threats George Patchias – September 9, 2019 England International Declan Rice has received death threats.Rice a one time Ireland International, switched allegiances only this year. The West Ham United man played for…“But because I’ve played the game, they know I’m not going to try and rip them off.”“There is so much competition between the young players these days. They all want to be seen driving something better than their team-mates.”“Social media plays a huge role. They see flash cars on Instagram and want the same thing.”“Some get bored very quickly and change it after 12 months. I believe Jack Butland has had his car wrapped in six colours over the years.”“I wanted to start a car business so players could avoid losing money. It’s a short career, and when you get to a certain age, you want that money you wasted on that car.”“Hopefully with our help, players will avoid paying over the odds.”
The Manchester City manager believes the Brazil midfielder is not certain to face Southampton on SundayBrazilian midfielder Fernandinho is injured.But he trained with Manchester City on Saturday and might be able to face Southampton tomorrow.“It is not necessary to lose three games from four to say how important Fernandinho is to us,” Guardiola said to The Standard.Premier League Betting: Match-day 5 Stuart Heath – September 14, 2019 Going into the Premier League’s match-day five with a gap already beginning to form at the top of the league. We will take a…“It is a specific position, we don’t have his qualities again. He is an incredible player.”“We tried but when players don’t want to come what can we do?” Guardiola spoke about trying to cover him.“I never in my career with Barcelona or Bayern Munich, I never complain about what they try to do, the clubs.”“They do their best because they want to win too. They try to provide me with the best team possible and they did it,” Guardiola added.
https://twitter.com/flo_tweet/status/992110290442510336 ‘High As Hope’ LP will drop June 29 and Florence Welch & The Machine shared an appetizer that will leave you hungering for more Philip MerrillGRAMMYs May 4, 2018 – 4:39 pm The hopes of Florence Welch & The Machine fans were raised with the April 12 release of “Sky Full Of Song” and its accompanying video, which already has more than 6 million views on YouTube. On May 3 the Welch & Co. dropped a second helping with “Hunger” and announced the June 29 release date for their upcoming album, High As Hope.High As Hope will mark the follow-up to Florence Welch & The Machine’s third studio album, How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful, which received a nomination at the 58th GRAMMY Awards for Best Pop Vocal Album and reached No. 1 on the Billboard 200. Interviewed at a Recording Academy Texas Chapter event that year, Welch described her emotional-sonic combination on GRAMMY-nominated songs such as “Ship To Wreck” and “What Kind Of Man,” saying, “I had those really big feelings and so in order to express them, I needed to make big sounds.” Florence & The Machine Debut “Hunger” Video, Reveal New Album Details New Florence Welch Video & Upcoming Album florence-machine-debut-hunger-video-reveal-new-album-details Email News Facebook Twitter As for her newest songs, the videos for “Sky Full Of Song” and “Hunger” were directed by AG Rojas. Welch described the first ballad as being based on the “incredible, celestial, but somehow lonely feeling” of coming down from the high of performance.”We all have a hunger” is the sentiment behind “Hunger,” with the lyric addressing deep issues of love, death, bodies, and beauty. Exemplifying the song’s message of how life can grow from following expressive drives, Welch puts her own body into it with dancing driven by the same passion we rely on in her vocals and composition. “Hunger” is an anthem that lets you savor its wonderful taste, but like an appetizer, it will leave you hungry for more.Catching Up On Music News Powered By The Recording Academy Just Got Easier. Have A Google Home Device? “Talk To GRAMMYs”Read more
Categories: Glenn News,Glenn Photos 18Mar Glenn encourages students, parents to consider Youth ChalleNGe Academy Michigan National Guard program helps with high-school GED(Left to right): Kay Carter, Rep. Gary Glenn, Cadet Executive Officer Sousha Carlevaris-Bianco, Kay’s son Cadet Cpl. Andrew Carter, and Cadet Cpl. Lujuan Grigsby II, all of Midland.State Rep. Gary Glenn, R-Midland encourages local teens aged 16-18 who have dropped out or been expelled from school and their parents to consider a free program administered by the Michigan National Guard that helps students earn a high-school degree and college credits.The next Michigan Youth ChalleNGe Academy (MYCA) at Fort Custer in Battle Creek begins July 2015, and while there are orientations scheduled throughout the state during the next three months, a session in the Bay City Armory, 2510 Wilder Road in Bay City, is coming up April 11.Rep. Glenn learned firsthand about the MYCA during a winter meeting at the state Capitol in Lansing with three Midland youths — Cadet Executive Officer Sousha Carlevaris-Bianco, Cadet Cpl. Andrew Carter and Cadet Cpl. Lujuan Grigsby II.“I’m proud of Sousha, Andrew and Lujuan for overcoming past challenges and committing themselves to learning the self-discipline and job skills necessary to succeed in life,” said Glenn, who served eight years with the U.S. Army Reserves and Army National Guard, including the 1460th Transportation Company in Midland. “They need our encouragement and support, and the Michigan National Guard deserves our gratitude for helping these Midland youths, and others like them across the state, turn their lives around.”Carter’s mother, Kay Carter, also of Midland, called MYCA “an amazing military-type academic program (that) has changed the course of his life through very hard work and determination.”“Not everyone makes it to the end of this program, but Andrew did!” she said. “We are so very proud of our son. He has accomplished many goals while at the academy. He has matured, found self-esteem and pride for what he has overcome and what he has accomplished. He leaves with a plan for his future and over the next year will work closely with two wonderful mentors. We thank God for opening the doors for him to attend MYCA and answering many prayers for our son.”MYCA is paid for by the U.S. Department of Defense and the state of Michigan and administered by the Michigan National Guard. Meals, housing, and uniforms are provided at no cost to the cadets or their families, and there is no military obligation for participants.The academy features an 18-month, two-phase program focused on self-discipline and jobs skills, which encourages physical, mental and moral development, with participants receiving more than 800 hours of classroom instruction and 160 hours of vocational-technical training, to earn a high school GED and up to 21 college credits. Along with taking part in daily physical training to develop good health, nutrition, hygiene habits and life-coping skills, the youths also perform over 40 hours of community service and conservation activities.Additionally, the youths put together a life plan that they work to execute with help from an assigned mentor in their community.Those eligible to apply are male and female high school dropouts or potential dropouts aged 16-18 who are U.S. citizens or legal residents of the U.S. and the state of Michigan, who have not been convicted of a felony and are not currently on parole or probation for anything other than juvenile-status offenses. Applicants must be drug-free and will be tested.Complete applications are not required to attend an orientation session, but priority consideration is given. More information is available by calling 800-372-0523 or online at MIYCP.org.To contact Rep. Glenn, call toll free at 1-855-GLENN98; email at GaryGlenn@house.mi.gov; go to his website, RepGaryGlenn.com; or send mail to Anderson House Office Building, S-1287, P.O. Box 30014, Lansing, MI 48909.